Recording 3 channels at the same time?

jlaavenger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Recording 3 channels at the same time? I thought the Dish 722 was supposed to have two HD tuners and one SD tuner and was supposed to be capable of recording three channels at the same time, two in HD and one in SD. Did I misinterpret something? Can it do this?

Unless things have changed since yesterday when I talked to DISH CS, you can only record TWO shows at the same time and simultaneously watch a PRERECORDED show. You can't record 3 at one time simultaneously. If you need to do that, you could use an ota receiver box and record to a standalone DVR or VCR by splitting you incoming OTA signal before it hits your DISH box. OR, you could add another DISH two tuner DVR for about $12 / mo. more on a two year contract. This is what I'm considering so that we can record three and watch one live simultaneously. We do also use and OTA antenna and have merged the OTA signals/channels into our program guide.

Also, I was told that the 722 only has ONE HD tuner and one SD tuner, not two HD tuners. But then, maybe DISH CS is feeding me the wrong info......

Unless things have changed since yesterday when I talked to DISH CS, you can only record TWO shows at the same time and simultaneously watch a PRERECORDED show. You can't record 3 at one time simultaneously. If you need to do that, you could use an ota receiver box and record to a standalone DVR or VCR by splitting you incoming OTA signal before it hits your DISH box. OR, you could add another DISH two tuner DVR for about $12 / mo. more on a two year contract. This is what I'm considering so that we can record three and watch one live simultaneously. We do also use and OTA antenna and have merged the OTA signals/channels into our program guide.

Also, I was told that the 722 only has ONE HD tuner and one SD tuner, not two HD tuners. But then, maybe DISH CS is feeding me the wrong info......

You were fed a line. You can record 2 HD at once from Dish and HD from an OTA. I record 3 HD shows at the same time frequently. This is done while watching a recorded show.

gwisker, here is a rule to live by.

The knowledge in this forum exceeds times a million that of a CSR. Go back to posts #2 & 3, and have a nice day.;)

Absolutely, the ViP series receivers have 3 tuners. All can record SD or HD. Two are satellite tuners. One is for an OTA antenna input.

NOW- the confusion is that there are two OUTPUTS. TV1 outputs either SD or HD. TV2 outputs only in SD. If you select an HD program to watch via the TV2 output, it will be downconverted to SD.

TV1 also has immediate access to any OTA signal. If you want to watch an OTA program on TV2, you should start to record it on the DVR from TV1. Then use TV2 to start watching the DVR'd program.

Hope this helps.

Unless things have changed since yesterday when I talked to DISH CS, you can only record TWO shows at the same time and simultaneously watch a PRERECORDED show. You can't record 3 at one time simultaneously.
Odds are, many of us here have had a 622 or 722 HD-DVR longer than this phone rep has worked for Dish. Both of those receivers absolutely can record (3) programs at once (and watch a 4th pre-recorded show while those are being recorded).

I have heard this whole discussion before and it always starts with someone, probably the csr who confused tuners with outputs. Models 612, 622 and 722 have three tuners - two sat and one OTA, all three being HD. Only two outputs (when watching independently) tv1 can be HD or sd while tv2 is sd only. Note: the 612 does not have any independent sd output.

Last edited:
I don't know what I'd do on Mondays and Thursdays without three tuners!

On a regular basis I will record 3 programs at the same time as I watch TWO recorded programs on my 622.

See ya
Tony

Yep. Often, when DH is on, I'll have all three active at the same time, while watching a DVR'd program. That ViP722 is one HECK of a receiver!

I don't know what I'd do on Mondays and Thursdays without three tuners!

On a regular basis I will record 3 programs at the same time as I watch TWO recorded programs on my 622.

See ya
Tony
Same days for me!

The networks refuse to spread things out. Either your show rules Mon or Thurs or it is cancelled after 4 eps. Move to Weds? What are you crazy? Stupid viewers, what do they know about tv?

:rolleyes:

gwisker, here is a rule to live by.

The knowledge in this forum exceeds times a million that of a CSR. Go back to posts #2 & 3, and have a nice day.;)

And not only that, but I can verify that sometimes you'll find out info on here that hasn't even been released yet to CSRs, installers, etc.,etc.

In fact, one of the funniest things I've ever heard at our shop happened one morning when somebody in our management structure blew his top and said "It's a #$%#% joke that you've got to go some website that isn't even company sponsored to find out what the @#$% hell is going on in this company!!"

Absolutely, the ViP series receivers have 3 tuners. All can record SD or HD. Two are satellite tuners. One is for an OTA antenna input.

NOW- the confusion is that there are two OUTPUTS. TV1 outputs either SD or HD. TV2 outputs only in SD. If you select an HD program to watch via the TV2 output, it will be downconverted to SD.

TV1 also has immediate access to any OTA signal. If you want to watch an OTA program on TV2, you should start to record it on the DVR from TV1. Then use TV2 to start watching the DVR'd program.

Hope this helps.

Can you recommend an OTA antenna? Say from Circuit City or Best Buy?

That will depend upon if you need VHF or UHF & VHF. And how far away your stations are.

The First Rule is: Never buy TERK. It's good looking, overpriced, underperforming junk. At least Monster, while overpriced, performs well.

I bought an RCA amplified rabbit ear UHF/VHF antenna for $30 at HH Gregg that picks up all my local channels with little trouble and 3/4 of the Dayton channels 40-50 miles away.

I'm sure if I put the antenna in the attic it would perform even better.

Remember that with digital channels "too much" is just as bad an "not enough". Multi-path (ghosting) will kill a signal that shows 100% quality one second and zero the next.

Tree branches and leaves fluttering in the breeze will do this to you!

See ya
Tony

A reliable Over the Air Digital signal is a royal pain in the butt to pick up. That is what I have learned the past few months. This is why I only have my OTA antenna hooked up to my TV. So for me I use 2 Satellite tuners. I would not trust recording anything OTA. I would rather chance recording off the Satellites during a storm.

A reliable Over the Air Digital signal is a royal pain in the butt to pick up. That is what I have learned the past few months. This is why I only have my OTA antenna hooked up to my TV. So for me I use 2 Satellite tuners. I would not trust recording anything OTA. I would rather chance recording off the Satellites during a storm.

It is quite possible your OTA signal is low and you may need to see if you can get it raised to an acceptable signal strength. During heavy downpours, I wind up recording off the OTA as the sat signal drops out a lot more than the OTA does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts