Recording and Duplicating FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

abukamoon

Original poster
Jun 25, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have a question that might be more of a computer question, but possibly someone here might know. I have been watching FTA for three years, and I love it, in fact, I decided to put a DVD recorder between the FTA tuner and my flat screen monitor. This way, I am able to record whatever I see on FTA with the press of a button.

When I tried to copy the DVD, it wouldn't work. A little investigation on my part indicated that there are about three different files with unfamiliar formats. Does anyone know if there is software available that will either convert the signal(s) to something that the DVD recorder can work with, or enable the recorder to duplicate the disc?

thank you.

What kind of file are they? (mkv TS mpeg) I have been using FromatFactory to transcode video files and RIP DVD's.. You can also use VLC. I've done so with a few that Format Factory had problems with. I've run into a few that neither worked tho-
Q- will the DVD play in a player that didn't do the recording??

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have a question that might be more of a computer question, but possibly someone here might know. I have been watching FTA for three years, and I love it, in fact, I decided to put a DVD recorder between the FTA tuner and my flat screen monitor. This way, I am able to record whatever I see on FTA with the press of a button.

When I tried to copy the DVD, it wouldn't work. A little investigation on my part indicated that there are about three different files with unfamiliar formats. Does anyone know if there is software available that will either convert the signal(s) to something that the DVD recorder can work with, or enable the recorder to duplicate the disc?

thank you.
I have a Toshiba DVR620 (combination VHS/DVD Recorder) which I use to record both OTA and FTA content. There is an option in the menus to Finalize the disc after recording, which makes it readable on other DVD players as well as computer DVD drives. Perhaps your recorder has the same option that needs to be enabled?
As far as software, for Linux based systems, K3b is at the top of my list for general disc burning/copying and DVD Styler is a great program for creating DVD's from video files. Both are free, as is Linux.:)

Abukamoon doesn't say how he tried to copy the DVD. If he naively tried to copy the files to a blank DVD, that is, as a data DVD, then it won't work on a pure DVD player. It needs to be burned with specific settings to be recognized as a DVD rather than a data disc, even though any computer DVD drive will read the files on it. In other words, use a DVD-copying program, and it should work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts