Recording back to back shows on hopper

Prometheusjp

Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
I know this has been discussed before, but I don't think I have ever heard if this is being worked on. When recording back to back shows on the same channel it takes 2 tuners for a few minutes while the recordings overlap. If they can record 4 channels with one tuner with back to back shows why can't they record the same channel with one tuner back to back and just feed the 2 recordings at the same time.

There has to be a legal, technical, etc reason why Dish's receivers can't do this. It's not an issue with just the Hopper either. Multiple generations of previous DVRs have had this limitation. Other DVRs manage to do it though so as far as it not being possible with "software", that's not the case.

Some speculated that it was a patent issue that kept Dish from doing it in the past. Even if it were a TiVo patent, many of which Dish have access to now, just because they can use it, doesn't mean it's a simple change.

Especially if my football game gets blitzed out do to my wife recording back to back shows. I cannot get the game back until the overlap expires.
The last time it did it to me , it just kicked me off the Tuner I was watching.
You would think it would have just grabbed the tuner that was open, Instead I had to hit the Red button, and Manually click on the open tuner just to continue watching what I was watching.

I don't understand that at all!!
This is another reason, Dish need a single 6 tuner box.
The 2 Hopper solution is okay, but there are some compromises when only 3 tuners work together .

I think it depends on the situation of what's being recorded.

I remember a few weeks ago, I had a timer set up to record reruns of Akame, since CN was airing multiple episodes back-to-back in a 4-hour marathon. According to the Daily Schedule page of my Hopper, it only showed 1 tuner (the green timer symbol icon) being used for each 30-minute episode that was being recorded. Normally if it was a different program or a different channel being recorded, the schedule page would show either the blue icon or the purple icon to indicate a 2nd or 3rd tuner would be used, due to the 4-minute overlap between recordings. But in this case, it used just the 1 tuner to record from 11:58 pm to 12:32 am, then from 12:28 am to 1:02 am, etc. all throughout the 4 hours.

So apparently sometimes the Hopper is smart when it comes to tuner usage... :)

I think it depends on the situation of what's being recorded.

I remember a few weeks ago, I had a timer set up to record reruns of Akame, since CN was airing multiple episodes back-to-back in a 4-hour marathon. According to the Daily Schedule page of my Hopper, it only showed 1 tuner (the green timer symbol icon) being used for each 30-minute episode that was being recorded. Normally if it was a different program or a different channel being recorded, the schedule page would show either the blue icon or the purple icon to indicate a 2nd or 3rd tuner would be used, due to the 4-minute overlap between recordings. But in this case, it used just the 1 tuner to record from 11:58 pm to 12:32 am, then from 12:28 am to 1:02 am, etc. all throughout the 4 hours.

So apparently sometimes the Hopper is smart when it comes to tuner usage... :)
I've seen this also, but I don't believe there is any overlap. One recording stops at the instant the other picks up. So if there is a slight time skew, you may get a few minutes of the end of one episode on the beginning of the next or visa-versa.

Plenty of times, what I see is from x:59 to y:03, two tuners in use. Specifically, this happens when I have tuners for "Gold Rush, The Dirt" or whatever it's called, and then the regular "Gold Rush" show. This happens between the 8pm and 9pm showings.

On previous generations of receivers, the 622-722K, what it did for a while was ignore the early start/late stop buffer and just chop the one show off. So to see the ending of the first show, you watched the beginning of the second one.

Reactions: Troch77
What I don't get, it shouldn't grab the Tuner I'm using when there is an open tuner not in use.

I've NEVER had any Directv, or Tivo Roamio do such unless all 5 or 6 tuners would be taken, and even then it would ask you if you wish to proceed.

The Hoppers just interrupts your live viewing and now your forced to manually grab the open tuner.

Now since I only have 1 night where a recording is back to back, it's not that bad, But it does it every time, Every Single time.

Luckily I have no Joeys linked to this Hopper , They are both on the other Hopper, and that hopper has no Back to back recordings.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Let me Edit, It does it every time I'm on on tuner 1 or 2.
If I'm watching the locals it won't grab that tuner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)