Recording back to back shows?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aquaman67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Tennessee
Is there a way to record back to back shows on the same channel without the ending of the first show ending up at the start of the second show?

I've changed the early start times and ending late times to zero but it still happens.

I can't use the other TV as something is recording on that at the same time too.

Is there a trick to this?

I think the only way to do it would be to set a manual recording that covers the time of both shows in one, for example from 7:59 to 9:01.

It all has to do with when the networks start their shows. You could record one OTA and although it will have the beginning of the other show on there at least the full show will be on both.

Here's what the ideal situation would be in my opinion. Example - show 1 and show 2 are each on for 30 minutes, show 1 at 7:00, show 2 at 7:30. Both scheduled for same tuner. Default setup of the DVR recording 1 minute early and 3 minutes late.

Currently: Show 1 records from 6:59-7:30, show 2 from 7:30-8:03.

Ideal: Same recording time obviously, but the resulting recordings look like Show 1 6:59-7:33, show 2 7:29-8:03. Some of the data is overlapped between shows. I don't see why they can't do this. All the data is there.

Here's what the ideal situation would be in my opinion. Example - show 1 and show 2 are each on for 30 minutes, show 1 at 7:00, show 2 at 7:30. Both scheduled for same tuner. Default setup of the DVR recording 1 minute early and 3 minutes late.

Currently: Show 1 records from 6:59-7:30, show 2 from 7:30-8:03.

Ideal: Same recording time obviously, but the resulting recordings look like Show 1 6:59-7:33, show 2 7:29-8:03. Some of the data is overlapped between shows. I don't see why they can't do this. All the data is there.

I have been wanting this feature for a LONG time - it is really the only thing I would change about my 722k. DirectTV DVR's do it, so I don't know why Dish can't make it work - it is the same data, the receiver would just need to be writing it to 2 different files at the same time. Does anyone know if Dish is even considering adding this feature?

This would be a sweet feature given the fact that the networks are hard at work to screw up DVR recordings & attempt to lock you into their line up by extending shows without the guide showing it (do people really knuckle under to these idiots - do they really think we aren't going to watch what we want anyway?). But keep in mind, that for this to work, with 3 tuners doing back-to-back shows, it would have to write 6 streams (during the overlap) - at the same time accmodating watching prerecorded shows and moving data to the EHD.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but it does raise the potential bandwidth requried for disk I/O.

Make the Pads Bigger

Is there a way to record back to back shows on the same channel without the ending of the first show ending up at the start of the second show?

A big part of this problem is the networks. The higher rated shows overrun the timeslots.

You don't tell us what PVR you have. I can only talk to the 622/722.

You also don't say how many tuners are in use. Do you have a 3rd event happening on another channel ?

Dish has messed with the finer details of how the pads work, but a smaller pad tends to be optional (soft), while a larger pad becomes hard. With a soft pad back-2-back events will remove the pad and save a tuner.

It seems like once the pads get to about 5 minutes, they become hard. Back to back shows will grab two tuners during the overlap and record the full programmed time. I rarely watch live TV so can live with not having a free tuner.

If I need a 3rd tuner, I generally put one show on the Over-the-Air antenna. Also many shows will repeat (expecially from the cable channels). Make those a lower priority and they will grab a later showing.

If you have a 722k with the OTA module you get 4 tuners. I would expect that would be enough for most.

I do have to add that I can't live with 1 622. I have a 622, 722, and a Media PC with 2 tuners (yes, that's 8 tuners). For me some stuff is Home Theater Preferred, and other is more for the Family Room. But, it gets the job done.

Last edited:
I also think the networks don't want such a feature. They want us to miss the last 30 seconds, so next week we will watch live so we don't miss anything.

I think the only way to do it would be to set a manual recording that covers the time of both shows in one, for example from 7:59 to 9:01.

Thanks, that's the trick I was looking for.

I have a 722k without OTA.

I'm recording 2 back to back shows (Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice) then The Mentalist which grabs the TV1 tuner because the other shows are on TV2.

So, at the end of Grey's Anatomy I have to run into the bedroom and grab the remote for TV2.

Then I have to switch the TV in the living room (TV1) to TV2 then restart Private Practice to see the end of Grey's Anatomy, my wife screaming "Hurry Up!" the entire time....LOL!

If you have it Single mode (vs. Dual) then you can switch tuners with the Swap button. If the tuner you are viewing is recording then you can usually pick a different channel, even without the swap button. If recording on both tuners you would have to watch one or a recording or buy the OTA module.
-Ken

Thanks, that's the trick I was looking for.

I have a 722k without OTA.

I'm recording 2 back to back shows (Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice) then The Mentalist which grabs the TV1 tuner because the other shows are on TV2.

So, at the end of Grey's Anatomy I have to run into the bedroom and grab the remote for TV2.
The two hour manual timer is a good idea though you lose the advantages of name based recording. Plus, you're stuck with two shows recorded together. You can't delete until both are watched.

I'd still prefer to add the over-the-air tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts