Recording from D*Tivo to another DVR/DVD recorder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TrishLLC

Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked before, but before I plunk down $ on new equipment I want to make sure I can do what I want and that I do it right!

We have the Samsung DirectTV DVRs model# SIR-S4080R. I think it's 70 hours but of course after only a few months it's almost full. There are a number of programs we would like to save to watch over and over. (We're into horses and have recorded a bunch of stuff that we want to keep). So, The idea is to buy either a DVD recorder, either a regular one or one with a hard drive also, so that we can send the programs we want to keep to DVD.
Here are my questions:

1) Can I do this, and if so how? (Please tell me its as simple as hooking up the new device to where the VCR is currently hooked up to and telling TV to record to VCR!)

2) Much of the stuff we want to keep are episodes of certain shows, so would it be better/easier/whatever, to get a DVD recorder with a hard drive so we could dump all the shows we want to keep onto the hard drive and then record episodes onto DVD by the show. (i.e. so we would end up with a few hours of each show on each DVD)?

What are the pros of a DVD recorder with a hard drive (I know the cons are the cost! are there any other cons?)?

3) We also record our horses and horse shows and would like to put them on DVD too. We would like to have a DVD recorder that records both + and - so other people can watch them too. Does anyone have any recommendations on a DVD recorder with or without a hard drive?

Thanks all you D* geniuses out there! BTW I love D* and Tivo and don't know how I lived without it this long!
Patricia

It is as easy as hooking a vcr up to the Tivo. You just plug the video and audio out from the tivo into the dvd recorder and then the dvd recorder to the TV. As far as + - I'm not sure there is a home stand alone dvd recorder that does both most PC dvd recorders do both though.

I've been dumping to DVDs for a while and let me assure you, it's as easy as plugging your DVD recorder into the slot where the vcr would go on the tivo unit.

As for the +/- debate, my recorder uses the DVD+R and DVD+RW discs. Haven't had too many problems (It's an old Gateway DVD recorder, which is just like a Lite-On).

If you are looking to record a bunch of episodes of a series onto one disc, just keep that disc handy without "finalizing" it until you fill it.

Hope some of this helps, 'cause that's all I got! :D

Thanks guys,
It's great to know it's easy to do! Does anyone have a DVD recorder with a hard-drive and dump by going to the hard-drive first?
Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)