recording from DVR to PC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

toad0513

Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
The usb port on my DVR Plus, can I use that to dump a recording off to my PC? If so, how do you go about it.
Thanks

The way I've been able to download to my laptop from my HR10 is to connect from the composite outs (only 480i) to my pc's composite in. Toshiba or Widows media player worked here. Maybe somebody else has a better easier way?

This is what I have been waiting on for a while now. It really blows that the USB port isnt active.

Yes you can use either Component, RCA or svideo to dump the directly into your computer through the graphics card... then you can have them saved as a file and either burned onto a DVD or watched directly on your computer

Does anybody have any ideas if getting a computer next to the DVR is not possible?

I have a cheap DVD Recorder that I thought would let me record my DVR recordings but being cheap, it just doesn't work well. I do need to get them to my computer I use for video editing but the two are just too far away.

I have a laptop also but it doesn't have video/audio inputs.

I have a mini-DV camcorder but that would only record up to 1 hour at the best quality.

Of course I don't want to use a VCR.

Any other thoughts?

Does anybody have any ideas if getting a computer next to the DVR is not possible?

I have a cheap DVD Recorder that I thought would let me record my DVR recordings but being cheap, it just doesn't work well. I do need to get them to my computer I use for video editing but the two are just too far away.

I have a laptop also but it doesn't have video/audio inputs.

I have a mini-DV camcorder but that would only record up to 1 hour at the best quality.

Of course I don't want to use a VCR.

Any other thoughts?

Does you laptop have USB2 inputs? If so there are devices that will take analog audio + video inputs and digitize them to be captured by your USB port. I purchased a Plextor ConvertX and am quite happy with the results. The video quality is really good - but not quite as good as viewed directly. The Plextor model PX-M402U comes with the appropriate software to capture to your hd, so DVDs can be burned, one feature that saves some time is to burn to DVD while the program is playing.

I've heard the Dazzle is another such product that will work.

Pete;)

Thanks for the reply. I don't know what I was thinking because I bought the camcorder initially to be a pass-through from a VCR so I could capture that video. I just wasn't thinking clearly that a DVR is the same type of thing. I don't have a firewire port on the laptop but it does have a mini-DV plug (1394). So I'll just have to get a DV to DV cable and I'm set! Thanks again for the reply.

I have a Sony digital camcorder (TRV-450) with both USB and FireWire (1394). the USB was intended to work with some utterly awful Japanese software, but when I plugged it in with FireWire Windows XP recognized it right away, opened Windows Movie Maker, all was smooth. That may be one way to go...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)