Recording from live TV

kyleresq

Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Santa Rosa Beach
Hi everyone, I am a new Dish subscriber after years of being with AT&t U-verse and DirecTV. With my prior provider, if I was watching live television and I hit the record button, it would back the recording to the time that I first turned on that channel or at least back an hour or so. I'm noticing with Dish that it only starts recording the minute that I press the button even if I've been watching that channel for an extended period of time. Is there a way around this to get to the prior part of the program recorded?

It might depend on what specific equipment you have but here's how I do it on my VIP211k. I hit the Back button and take it back to the beginning of the show, then hit Record and it starts recording from the beginning.
Yes, the only drawback when you do that is that it then records the entire buffer from that point all the way up to Live TV. So, if you rewind one hour back, and you only want to record the first half-hour, it will still record the entire hour immediately as soon as you hit the record button. It would be nice if you could use the stop button when it reaches the end of what you want to record, so it would only record exactly what you want. Alternatively, it would be nice to have a way to edit the DVR events after they are recorded, to remove any section that you don't want, and save hard drive space that way.

Reactions: charlesrshell
On my Hopper 3, recording a live program included the time since I started watching that channel. If I stopped and deleted that recording, without changing the channel, the next time I record it, it started from the time I press record.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

On my Hopper 3, recording a live program included the time since I started watching that channel.

I thought I had noticed that too. This is superior behavior to my VIP DVRs.
If I stopped and deleted that recording, without changing the channel, the next time I record it, it started from the time I press record.

If I follow what you're saying there, I have not observed that!

Reactions: KaptainRandom
I follow what you're saying there, I have not observed that!

It's worth trying to see if it's repeatable. I didn't expect it because the session was not interrupted. But something internal must be effecting the timer.

So I am watching live TV. I've had this channel on for about half an hour. I just hit record. I then went into the menu and selected this recording and selected to watch from the beginning and it only goes back to 1 minute ago when I hit record. Maybe there's a setting or something that isn't correct?

Yes, the only drawback when you do that is that it then records the entire buffer from that point all the way up to Live TV. So, if you rewind one hour back, and you only want to record the first half-hour, it will still record the entire hour immediately as soon as you hit the record button. It would be nice if you could use the stop button when it reaches the end of what you want to record, so it would only record exactly what you want. Alternatively, it would be nice to have a way to edit the DVR events after they are recorded, to remove any section that you don't want, and save hard drive space that way.
I can't imagine that being a regular occurence. If I back it up and press Record it sets it to record to the end of the program as determined by the guide, however long that may be, but I can hit Stop at any point, it'll pop up a dialog box asking if I want to stop recording, I hit Yes and it stops.

Reactions: TheKrell
So I am watching live TV. I've had this channel on for about half an hour. I just hit record. I then went into the menu and selected this recording and selected to watch from the beginning and it only goes back to 1 minute ago when I hit record. Maybe there's a setting or something that isn't correct?
A thought. Is the amount in the buffer depended on how much disk space you have? How far can you rewind? If it's more than 1 minute than never mind. I have no idea how they designed these things

No, that's how it works in all it's glorious limitations. I think Dish's stance is that in most cases, you can find that show on VOD and download it to watch at will.

...if you have internet

A thought. Is the amount in the buffer depended on how much disk space you have? How far can you rewind? If it's more than 1 minute than never mind. I have no idea how they designed these things
As I detailed in another thread, my sister has been having problems with the Live TV buffer on her Wally with external hard drive, but it only affects certain channels. Specifically, it is a problem with standard-def local channels on Eastern Arc. Attempting to pause or rewind, it will act like it is doing what it is supposed to do. But then, upon hitting the Play button, it will immediately jump back to Live TV, and the buffer is lost. This is not an issue with the amount of hard drive space remaining, since she usually deletes her recordings as soon as she is done watching them, so there is always plenty of space on the hard drive.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I dropped Netflix a long time. I realized it had been over a year since I watched anything on it
I hear you. I mostly just use Netflix for Mystery Science Theater 3000. I finally got around to signing up for another one-month free trial, just to watch the second season of Netflix's MST3K revival. I was a bit disappointed that it was only six episodes this time. I binge-watched it in one afternoon.

Reactions: HipKat
No, that's how it works in all it's glorious limitations. I think Dish's stance is that in most cases, you can find that show on VOD and download it to watch at will.

...if you have internet
I seem to remember at some point, (I don't remember when, it may have been on my old 722) that if you hit record during a show, and you were actually tuned to the beginning of that show and it was in the buffer, the ENTIRE show would be recorded. This was without having to rewind to the beginning of the show, it would just include the portion of the show that was in the buffer. I don't know when that changed.

I seem to remember at some point, (I don't remember when, it may have been on my old 722) that if you hit record during a show, and you were actually tuned to the beginning of that show and it was in the buffer, the ENTIRE show would be recorded. This was without having to rewind to the beginning of the show, it would just include the portion of the show that was in the buffer. I don't know when that changed.
I remember it giving a pop-up, and that was one of the options you could choose. I forget what the default behavior was if you did not choose one of the recording options. I also seem to remember that the pop-up did not stay on screen for very long, so it did not give you much time to choose which option you wanted.

Reactions: CyberSpock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts