Recording HDTV onto VCR

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
How are you guys recording a HD broadcast onto VCR, whether it's from OTA antenna or satellite? I have been switching my TV to S-video input, then recording onto VCR. Otherwise if I'm not recording, I keep TV input set to DTV(1080i). Is there a better way? Thanks.

I don't really see your problem in the question. If you are wanting some feedback from the VCR to confirm what you are recording, see timers, clock ,etc. view that through the PiP function of the TV.

Connect the S-Video or Composite from the 811 to the VCR, then connect the VCR via the same cables to the TV. Pull up the VCR connection via PiP to check for picture (ensuring 'Line In' is chosen) and correct aspect ratio for SD display of HD.

JimMcC

Are you disconnecting your S-video when your not recording using the VCR because I think you can just leave them both hooked up and record when needed.

Vcr

Thanks guys. I should have been more clear. My recordings are working, but the image seems to be squished vertically, people appear kind of short and fat. No one else is seeing this recording a HD broadcast with VCR?

JimMcC said:
Thanks guys. I should have been more clear. My recordings are working, but the image seems to be squished vertically, people appear kind of short and fat. No one else is seeing this recording a HD broadcast with VCR?
Well thanks for your post I just leaned something you are recording a HD program to a analog VCR and can view the program?

I didnt even think you can record HD to NON DIGITAL HD TAPE?

trido

JimMcC said:
Another followup what about usinga replay or tivo? Well they record also?

Can you pause live HD tv etc also?

thanks

Trido

Just to add thought i would play around with this and now my S vid jack is not working I set it up and on in the TV set menues but I am getting no vid I do have the on screen menu just no video?

He isn't recording the HD signal. He is recording an SD downcoverted 480i signal.

As far as getting a squished or distorted picture, use the 'Page Down' button to switch between resolutions in SD. Also, setting the TV type to 4x3 may have an effect. You just need to adjust these settings until it is giving a proper output for SD.

gpflepsen said:
He isn't recording the HD signal. He is recording an SD downcoverted 480i signal.

As far as getting a squished or distorted picture, use the 'Page Down' button to switch between resolutions in SD. Also, setting the TV type to 4x3 may have an effect. You just need to adjust these settings until it is giving a proper output for SD.
Ok thanks but say I want to tape a HDNET show how do I down it to 480i?
Within the 811 menu?

Other problem I have I have no vid signal with either S vid or composite vid out of 811 not sure why I made input adjustment in the TV sets menu.

thanks

Trido

You should always have video output on the 811's composite and S-Video connections. Check your VCR to ensure it's set to LINE IN and not some channel number.

If your TV has assignable inputs, maybe their designations are off. If you truly can't get a video signal out of the SD outputs on the 811, it isn't working properly.