Recording Jumps During Playback

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cjdish

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Asheville, NC
Just to summarize my current status... bottom line is that with the 4K Joey I can't easily stop and play a recording where I want to while I'm fast forwarding (or reversing the recording). The recording jumps from 10 to 40 minutes most of the time when I try to stop at a certain point. A Dish technician visited my house and confirmed the problem. I can swap my Joey 2 and the 4K Joey to different TV's, and the problem follows the 4K Joey. I've swapped remotes and the problem stays with the 4K Joey. I have absolutely no issues with the Hopper or Joey 2 .. with them, I can stop and resume playing exactly where I want to.

I have installed a new Hopper 3 and a new 4K Joey and the problem persists. So, it seems like we've eliminated equipment issues and the Technician thinks it's a "software issue". What bothers me if that's the case, why haven't more people complained about this. So I fear that the problem will not be resolved and I just have to learn to live with the frustration of not being able to do certain things well with the 4K Joey.

I could switch to a Joey 2, but I I don't like the slower response time with the Joey 2 compared to the Hopper and 4K Joey. I called Dish again and this time they suggested I try a Joey 3.0 . I like this idea so I am going to swap the Joey 2 for a Joey 3. The Joey 3 doesn't offer me the "4K" possibility, but at this point in time there's still not much 4K out there. I basically like the Dish equipment better than DirectTV, so at this point in time I don't think I'm ready to make a switch because of this one issue... and I hope that the Joey 3 performs better than the Joey 2. I will keep the 4 K Joey on a seldom used TV and occasionally try it to see if somehow Dish corrects the problem. I still don't understand why more people haven't reported this issue...and it seems like I've eliminated it being unique to me with the equipment swaps and Technician visit!

Reactions: pattykay
I have the same issue, also with Joey 4k connected to Hopper 3. It doesn't do it all the time, but often will jump ahead 10 minutes when I push play to stop fast forwarding. I haven't bothered trying to report it or anything because it's been do hard to get Dish to even acknowledge such problems in the past. Overall I think the Hopper 3 is a great system and a huge improvement over the previous generations, but there always seem to be a few odd little intermittent problems that they can never seem to diagnose and correct, like EHDs randomly disconnecting or audio and video not staying in sync, both of which are still happen from time to time on my Hopper 3...

I'd love to know from people with a Hopper 3 and a 4K Joey if they DO NOT have a similar issue. I'm still hung up on why only a few people seem to have the problem and why not all with a similar setup! (or.. maybe to most folks it's simply not a big deal.. or they don't read these forums!!!)

I have a Hopper 2 which has randomly done this for years. Sometimes I don't even notice it and continue watching a show then having to restart and fast forward through it again. Also, the progress bar doesn't work at times or goes completely past the end of the program entirely.

I could post paragraph after paragraph of issues I have with this piece of crap DVR.

Reactions: pattykay
I have a Hopper 2 which has randomly done this for years. Sometimes I don't even notice it and continue watching a show then having to restart and fast forward through it again. Also, the progress bar doesn't work at times or goes completely past the end of the program entirely.

I could post paragraph after paragraph of issues I have with this piece of crap DVR.
Are you going to upgrade to Hopper 3? You would be much happier.

Reactions: JSheridan
I'd love to know from people with a Hopper 3 and a 4K Joey if they DO NOT have a similar issue. I'm still hung up on why only a few people seem to have the problem and why not all with a similar setup! (or.. maybe to most folks it's simply not a big deal.. or they don't read these forums!!!)
Honestly I don't think there's a ton of 4k joeys out there being used. In the past, let's say 4 years, if they've even been available that long, I would say I've personally installed 5 or less. I have yet to see a service call come in with this issue, or anything else with a 4k Joey being the focus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Honestly I don't think there's a ton of 4k joeys out there being used. In the past, let's say 4 years, if they've even been available that long, I would say I've personally installed 5 or less. I have yet to see a service call come in with this issue, or anything else with a 4k Joey being the focus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using the SatelliteGuys app!
Same here. I've installed 3, ever and 2 were on one job the day they came out

4K Joey got a lot of bad comments during the last Olympics, not capable of HDR, lots of complaints, not usable to watch the Olympics in 4K.

Considering they were Dish's first attempt at 4K hardware, before the H3 came out, they were probably designed before HDR was available.

Are you going to upgrade to Hopper 3? You would be much happier.

No way. I'm waiting for fiberoptic in this area or something other than satellite for TV and internet. I'm not getting locked into another long term agreement with Dish, plus I don't want another installer to come to my house where I have to redo their "professional" installation again.

Reactions: TheKrell
Just to bring this issue to a close (at least for me). The Dish tech came and installed a Joey 3 in place of the Joey 2. The Joey 3 works fine; seems as fast as the Hopper 3; and I have no issues with pausing a recording and resuming play at the point where I pause. I kept the 4k Joey and moved it to a seldom used TV where the issue with pausing and resuming at the same point remains. I did get a follow up call from someone at the Dish "case management dept" to see if my issue had been resolved. I told him my story and he said he would be sure that the issue would is "forwarded up the line" to see if they can duplicate and/or fix it with a software update". I hope that happens!!

As I have gotten more into it and have tried different things I have learned a bit more. I said in my previous post that the Joey 3 works fine. Well it turns out that it mostly works fine, except on SD recordings! I have a Hopper 3; a Joey 3 and a 4K Joey. I have recently replaced the Hopper, the 4k Joey and swapped a Joey 2 for the Joey 3. My main problem is with the 4K Joey (and this is a new 4K Joey that was recently swapped because of this issue).

*I have no issues with the Hopper...there is no jumping with any program.

*Every program I have recorded and tested with the 4k Joey ... (except 3).... jump about 15 minutes at 15X and about 30 minutes at 60X speed. I can't find any reason why I found 3 programs that seem to run OK. They happen to be short (1/2 hr HD programs).. but I have found other short HD programs that do "jump".

*With the Joey 3 I first thought it was OK,,, but I very rarely watch or record SD programs, but the 4 SD programs I have recorded recently with the Joey 3 jump. (PS . The Joey 3 is as fast as the Hopper and 4K Joey, so except for the jumping issue with SD programs I like it!)

When I find a program that does or doesn't jump I can go back to it and get repeatable results. I tried to test all the programs the same way... making the first pause after about 5 minutes into the recording and thereafter about every 15 minutes. All the observations above were on the same programs watched on all three devices! I was initially fooled because a couple of programs seem to not jump during the first pause after about 5 minutes, but if I made the first pause a bit longer than 5 minutes, then they "jumped". I put the 4K Joey on a TV that I seldom use so it doesn't bug me like it did. And since the Hopper is good and I seem to have no problems on the Joey 3 except with SD programs, I am relatively happy.

I have found a few threads with other people complaining, but this seems to be an unresolved issue. I have had two Dish Tech visits lately and have been able to demonstrate the problem to them. New equipment hasn't resolved the issue,,,, so I don't know what it will take to get it resolved!! The "skip " function works OK, but if you "overshoot" a location by 15 minutes you have to hit the "skip back" button 90 times (10 secs per hit). If you try to fast forward backwards, it also jumps erratically... so you wind up playing "virtual pingpong". Someone from the "case management" team called and I told my story. Perhaps there are not enough complaints to get this issue to someones attention that can figure it out! I understand there are not a lot of 4K Joeys out there, so maybe thats why theres not a lot of people complaining about this. The fact that recordings jump on my Joey 3 when replaying a SD program is another fact that should tell someone something. I really wish someone with similar equipment would test what I've done and let me know if they see the same results as I do.

I don't like the idea of not having 4K capability on a TV that is used a lot, but at this point in time there really isn't much 4K programming out there anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)