Recording Olympics next month from DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

barnkeeper

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
rural West Virginia
I want to record a lot of the Olympics starting in Feb 2018. My DirecTV receiver (NOT a Genie) allows 100 hours of standard def recordings. This receiver manages one TV only.) Recording100 Hours won't be enough for what I plan to record? Can I connect a Western Digital External Hard Drive to the receiver? What special equipment do I need? Do I need a specific WD EHD? (I am technically challenged and will probably have to hire someone to connect everything, and I'm trying to understand it myself first.)

Reactions: longhorn23
I want to record a lot of the Olympics starting in Feb 2018. My DirecTV receiver (NOT a Genie) allows 100 hours of standard def recordings. This receiver manages one TV only.) Recording100 Hours won't be enough for what I plan to record? Can I connect a Western Digital External Hard Drive to the receiver? What special equipment do I need? Do I need a specific WD EHD? (I am technically challenged and will probably have to hire someone to connect everything, and I'm trying to understand it myself first.)
Remember, when you add a EHD, you lose the ability to see anything on the internal HD, not lose it, till you disconnect the EHD and reboot.

Yes, you can add an EHD ... needs to be an ESATA drive and connect to the back of the HR24 (I'm guessing thats the recvr you have, could be HR20-24), not the USB connection.

So you won't lose what's on your IHD if you connect an EHD? I am little confused when you said you lose the ability to see anything on the internal hard drive, but nose lose it. Could you clarify? One of the reasons why I have never connected an EHD is because I don't want to lose the Summer Olympics 4k recordings from 2016 and I assumed I would lose them. Thanks for your help.

Remember, when you add a EHD, you lose the ability to see anything on the internal HD, not lose it, till you disconnect the EHD and reboot.

Yes, you can add an EHD ... needs to be an ESATA drive and connect to the back of the HR24 (I'm guessing thats the recvr you have, could be HR20-24), not the USB connection.

Using an external hard drive disables the internal one, but when you remove the external, the internal is available again.

I usually welcome new members barnkeeper, but you have been here for over five years and this is your first post???? :)
:welcome to Satelliteguys anyways!!

So can I go back and forth between the recordings on the internal and external hard drive by removing the external hard drive? Will I lose the recordings on the external hard drive by removing it?

Using an external hard drive disables the internal one, but when you remove the external, the internal is available again.

So can I go back and forth between the recordings on the internal and external hard drive by removing the external hard drive? Will I lose the recordings on the external hard drive by removing it?
Yes, you can go back and forth by removing the EHD and placing it, you will not lose any content doing it ....
HOWEVER you can only use that EHD on THAT particular recvr ...
IF you move the EHD to a different recvr, it WILL rewrite whats on the existing EHD and you'll lose what was on it ... so make SURE you keep the EHD on that designated recvr.

Thanks for the help! Do you know what's the biggest external hard drive you can attach? Also are there any external hard drives that you recommend? Thanks again!
Yes, you can go back and forth by removing the EHD and placing it, you will not lose any content doing it ....
HOWEVER you can only use that EHD on THAT particular recvr ...
IF you move the EHD to a different recvr, it WILL rewrite whats on the existing EHD and you'll lose what was on it ... so make SURE you keep the EHD on that designated recvr.

Thanks for the help! Do you know what's the biggest external hard drive you can attach? Also are there any external hard drives that you recommend? Thanks again!
Some of the others can jump in on the Brand and size available to use on these recvrs ...
Years back I was using a Western Digital 1.5 TB, that was big at the time ...

It also depends on what recvr your using as for how big one you can use.
1.5 TB at the time was about it, maybe 2.0 TB that was for the HR24.
You can't just throw any HD on a recvr and expect it to work.

I have not heard anyone (or maybe paid attention to) to what they are using on the Genies.

I''l mention this to you and all others, I've mentioned it before ...
Remember, HD's go bad, you fill up 2TB or more of shows you want to keep and when the unit happens to quit working, you'll lose all the stuff on it.
If theres imprortant stuff you have to KEEP, don't leave it on the HD.

I have no idea why any one would fill up a HD that full, why not watch what you need when you can and delete, how do you decide to watch a Gig of video ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)