Recording on 722 from Other Source

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
If I get a 722k, and I've got the OTA Module, can I record from say, a VCR (which outputs to channel 3) onto the 722k's DVR through the OTA port? I'd imagine I'd just hook it up, and do a local channel scan, and it would pick up the signal on channel 3. Does this sound right?

I tried the forums' search function, but man does it return some crappy results... Thanks in advance!

No, the k module is only for digital signals. VCR will output in analog so the receiver will not record let alone see them.

So... Then if I get a converter box, that converts from analog to digital, it will work? Wait... no, those converter boxes convert from digital to analog... Ug.

It's not actually a VCR, it's another satellite receiver (for a glorystar system). The receiver (a Manhattan Skyline 1000) outputs to channel 3. There HAS to be some solution to get that output feed into a format that's accepted by the OTA input... Right?

It's not actually a VCR, it's another satellite receiver (for a glorystar system).

You might want to check ebay or someplace for a cheap FTA receiver with integrated DVR. (This is assuming from your query here that you don't want to spend the money for a new one.)

A Dish receiver is not like a VCR, there are no inputs, only outputs.

There is in fact an input. Though, with the k models you have to purchase a separate module. Also, this input does act like a VCR (or at least, it did on the older receivers) in as much as it will pass any signal through to the 'out to tv' port when the receiver is powered off.

There is in fact an input. Though, with the k models you have to purchase a separate module. Also, this input does act like a VCR (or at least, it did on the older receivers) in as much as it will pass any signal through to the 'out to tv' port when the receiver is powered off.
No, there is no pass through. Years ago, like you said, there were a few models that did, but not in a very long time. I applaud your mind over matter attempts, but it is what it is.;)

No, there is no pass through. Years ago, like you said, there were a few models that did, but not in a very long time. I applaud your mind over matter attempts, but it is what it is.;)

I. Will. Break. Reality. With. My. MIND!

The OTA tuner is ATSC (digital) and other devices output NTSC (analog), as stated. Converters or other devices to output ATSC are rare and expen$ive. Theoretically you could take a non-OTA ATSC signal and record it, but I haven't heard of anyone who ha$ actually done thi$.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)