Recording on Dish with 2 VCR's 2 rooms

Banjo

Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
Missouri
Just changed from antenna to dish, and having trouble figuring out what connections, setup is necessary to record on my VCR's. Main connection TV chnl 4, 2 vcr's. Dish connects to first VCR, to 2nd VCR to TV. Can I record on 1 or both vcr's while watching a third channel on TV? If not why not? The remote TV is set for chnl 30. Can I also record on the two vcr's there while watching a third channel? Will recording on the main TV/VCR's affect watching a different channel on the remote TV? I don't know if the installer ran the channel set up for the VCR's or not. The Dish instruction book is no help at all on VCR recording. Yes the outside antenna is still connected. I would like to get rid of it completely, but not if I will need it to record a seperate channel.

What type of receiver (Dish box) do you have? How is it connected to the VCR, via coax cable? And what is this "remote TV" you mention?

The thing to realize is that the receiver will tune to one channel and send that one channel out to the TV (which is actually the VCR in your case). So the VCR will only record what you can watch on the TV.

With an antenna, all the channels are present at the same time on the antenna cable. So, you can have one VCR recording one show (set to TV mode), another VCR connected to it recording another show (set to TV mode), and a TV connected to the 2nd VCR watching a third show. However, this isn't how sat receivers work.

What I'd really recommend is upgrading to something like a vip622 box. It has three tuners: two satellite and one for your antenna. You can record one satellite program and one over-the-air program while watching a third satellite program. Or you can record two satellite programs while watching an over-the-air program. And you don't have to mess with VCR tapes, and the picture quality is much better.

It says on the front of it: JVC 322 Dp plus. Connected by coax cable. The Dish box has 2 tuners. The second room (or remote) is set on chnl 30, connected by coax cable to the dish. Isn't the signal split up into the seperate channels in the dish box?, therefore each VCR should be able to pick up the channel it's set to record and still pass the signal on to the TV?

Nope it doesn't work that way Banjo. Each VCR can record the channel that the satellite tuner is tuned to but you can't record two separate shows and watch a third. Mainly because satellite does not work like cable or an OTA signal your TV by itself can not tune in to a satellite signal, the satellite receiver has to do that. The signal that's being sent via the coax cabling is purely a video signal it does not have the channels that your satellite receiver can receive.

Nope it doesn't work that way Banjo. Each VCR can record the channel that the satellite tuner is tuned to but you can't record two separate shows and watch a third. Mainly because satellite does not work like cable or an OTA signal your TV by itself can not tune in to a satellite signal, the satellite receiver has to do that. The signal that's being sent via the coax cabling is purely a video signal it does not have the channels that your satellite receiver can receive.

To be fair, we should add that the above is also true of the digital channels that must go through the digital cable box before a VCR can record them. :) I remember losing my ability to watch one channel while recording another after my local cable company put some channels in the digital spectrum.

On TV1 connect the VCR directly to the dish box using RCA cables, and connect your tv to the vcr using rca cable. Then connect your antenna to the tv. When you are recording from satellite you would be able to watch something from the antenna.

My main problem is that I have a wife that didn't want to go to Dish to start with. I got tired of watching static every day. We are 45-50 miles from any antenna and in the woods. She wants to watch one local channel while recording one or two others. For such things as ER, Law & Order, CSI(insert city here), &L the Unit. Last night she turned off the dish at the main TV and was watching a local channel, at the same time I could record two different local channels in the second room. After I was done playing with that, I could also watch a Dish channel in the second romm while she had it turned off at the main TV. She does not want to get the DVR thingy, "we have to record on tapes". oh well. . . . . :)

Once you DVR you'll never go back to tape.

I have 3 perfectly good VCR's that have only been used as tuners for the last 2-3 years since my first Dish 510.

My suggestion: Ditch the wife.

Seriously, DVR is tons easier to deal with than tape. Unless she keeps ALL the episodes she records forever. Even then, she can just tape those she wants to keep..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts