Recording on TV1 or TV2

Cynthia Blue

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Okay.. I'm sitting here in front of the new Dish Bronze package and setting up my timers. :)

If I look at the guide and see one of the shows about to record, it has a little blue circle with a number 2 on it, or a little green circle with a number 1 on it.

I assume that means it's going to record for either TV1 or TV2?
When I set the recordings (I'm on TV1) as I just did for the Shuttle Launch on Thursday, it has a little 2 next to it even though I set the timer using TV1.

Does this matter at all? Since all the shows I usually watch are repeats I won't be recording for a day or two to find out. :)

Thanks.

Depends on how you have it set up. Factory Default is for tv2. If you want or have to change go under 'Preferences' under menus then, 'Record Plus' to make changes. This can also change if you enable or disable under dual user mode. It is pretty much trial and error till you get the hang of how it works.

Okay.. thanks I see that option and yup it's defaulted to TV2. So if I record a show and it defaults to TV2.. will my husband all of a sudden see the recording show on his TV since he's on TV2? Confusing. :)

If your husband is watching TV2 when it needs to record a program on TV2 it will switch channels and start recording that channel. He then must watch that channel or cancel the recording.

Okay that is what I was wondering. So if I'm on TV1 I want my timers to be set to record on TV1, and husband needs to have his on TV2.

When I go to the Daily Schedule where it lists the recordings set for the week... for example, on Friday I have:

6pm Dr Who with a 2
7pm Man vs Wild 1
7pm Battlestar Galactica 2

What I really want is both Dr Who and BSG on TV1 and Man vs Wild on TV2. Can I change these existing timers? I have not seen where.

However... on the right side there is a menu (Dish Pass, Timers, Hide Skip etc...) if I click on Timers I see the ones I have set up. On that screen if I highlight BSG I see the letters DVR and next to it a green box with a '1' in it. Seems to be a conflict, I'm not sure if BSG will record on TV1 or TV2 as the two screens say something different.

That confuses me. Thanks.

I have the same problem you got before. What I did to fix it was to trick it. In your case, here is what I would do. Delete the 3 scheduled programs. First set it to record 7pm Man vs Wild. Since this is the first program with no conflict, it will default to TV 2. Then you set it to record 7pm BSG. This is a conflict, so it will use TV 1. Last you set it to record 6pm Dr Who. It should use TV 1, because the default is to end recording 3 minutes late, and if it tries to use TV 2, it would not be able to switch channel to record 7pm Man vs Wild in time.

This way you don't have to play with any options. You just have to schedule them in different order. I was doing this for a one time recording. I don't know what will happen if this is for recurring shows. Would the programming switch back TV 1 and TV 2 the next week... I don't know.

Okay interesting I will have to try it out. I still don't understand the colored circle that has a 1 or a 2, and the little picture of the TV that has a 1 and a 2. They are different for different timers depending on what screen I"m on. I have seen nothing in the owner's manual explaining what they are exactly.

Thanks.

Don't confuse Tuners 1 & 2 with TVs 1 & 2. You have two idential sat. tuners in the 622, and the OTA tuner. For the most part each tuner is "committed" to its numerically-identical output, but tricks like Need mentioned give you a lot of flexibility. I don't do a lot of recording (HDD is full already!) and only once recorded two programs at once so I don't have much advice based on experience. You can choose your primary (first) tuner for recording (2=default) in one of the setup screens.

Isn't the TV with 1 & 2 the indicator for "Single" mode? (2 TVs with one number each = dual mode?)

ooo Okay, I didn't think of the two tuners as opposed to TV1 and TV2. That clears it up. I'm thinking the little picture of the TV is telling me if it will record on TV1 or TV2, and the round picture is the tuner. That actually helps a lot. :) Thank you.

I will look again tonight at the TV when I get home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)