Recording Sirius Shows to PC?

mgalvin

Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Now that I can't listen to Stern the way I used to (with a walkman, at work, at the gym, etc.) I have to come up with a way to record Sirius shows that I can take with me on my iPod.

There's no way I want to spend $275+ for the S50 portable and then an additional $100 for the home docking station.

MY QUESTION: I have an Orbiter Sat Radio (boombox) and I want to record shows - is there any way to connect it to my pc to record to?

I have heard about Timetraxtech, but what I read, it won't work with my unit.

sandiegoeconomy@yahoo.com

I use and Sportster/boombox to record shows to my PC. I have a TV-FM tuner card to record Sirius via the FM transmit feature. Its kind of a pain in the ass but it works and I dont miss any of the Bubba show.:)
If you want to know more just let me know and I will try to explain alittle better.

Last edited:
I have the Orbiter boombox - it does not come with any connectors in the back to plug anything in it, but on the front of the unit it has a plug for "aux".

Would that be where you would connect it to the computer?

nothing is plugged into his computer. the fm capture card is picking up the fm signal transmitted by his boom box.

i heard there is a program to do what you are looking for. can't remeber the name of it.

however, if your computer has a line in jack, i don't see why you could not run the line out of the sirius unit into the input of the computer. i have never tried it, so i don't know if it would work.

Went to Radio Shack, bought an audio cable and have connected the sat radio to my computer and I have great sound through my pc speakers.

Now I have to figure out how to actually record what's playing. Does anyone know of a freeware or other software for this?

A $5 male to male stereo cable from the Sirius LINE-OUT to the LINE-IN on you PC or sound card. The recording software with timer/scheduler is called Total Recoder. http://www.highcriteria.com/

Make sure to open up the LINE-IN jack on your PC's sound panel and as the recording source and set AUTO recording level. I have been doing it for almost 2 years, even posted it. That Time Trax is a total waste of cash compared to this.

SEE ATTACHED PHOTOS:

Attachments

• Sirius0.doc
    42 KB · Views: 185
  • Sirius1.doc
    60 KB · Views: 169
  • Sirius2.doc
    57 KB · Views: 167
  • Sirius3.doc
    67.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
How I get to listen to Sirus at work eveyday

I have a program called pdmarq You can get it at www.pdmarq.com. I have set the program to open and start recording at 3am PST so when I leave for work around 7:30am PST the enitre Stern show is recorded. It puts the program to a wav file, abot 2gb. The I just convert it to MP3 and put it on my flash drive. When you convert it to a mp3 it goes to about 200MB. Then I just take it to work and listen to it in Itunes. Pretty easy and way cool I still get to hear Stern at work in the mornings. I have my sirius starmate hooked in to my sound card via the line in.

Trevor

That Total Recorder program I listed above does MP3 on the fly with your selection of size/compression rates. saves steps and space. You should give it a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts