Recording sound for PBS channels to vcr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
The PBS channels need dolby so I bought the cable to connected to my receiver. Now, how can I record the shows using my vcr, it only records video. How can I get the audio?

Some of the PBS channels use AC3 audio, you will need a receiver that passes AC3 audio then something that plays AC3 audio!

My receiver can handle AC audio. I can see the show and listen when the Yamaha receiver is on. But how can I now record the audio to a vcr? I will need a new on?

You will need an output from your Yamaha to the VCR. Regular rca plugs should work. If the Yamaha doesn't have an output, you're s*** out of luck.

Al

You will need an output from your Yamaha to the VCR. Regular rca plugs should work. If the Yamaha doesn't have an output, you're s*** out of luck.
Yep... unless you happen to have a camcorder on hand and can figure out a way to either just hit record on it about 4 feet in front of the tv... It won't look great, but at least it'll record. I got my ancient camcorder about a year ago at a garage sale for 5.00.

Oaky so if your A/V receiver decodes AC3, and it must or you would hear nothing when you watch it in normal mode. You prolly need to hook the VCR out on your A/V receiver into an input on your VCR. Make sure you record using the correct input on your VCR. Also note that you must have both audio and video inputed into your A/V receiver and be using it as an A/V swith or it won't work. There is another way however. If your A/V receiver does not have video output/input and just audio, then hook your video into the same input that you hooked your analog sound into on your VCR. Also note that some a/v receivers won't output a digital sound in analog mode through your R and L composite jacks while imputing in digital mode. Hope you can follow that.

Hi Havenx, this is what I did, but did not work

1- RED,YELLOW, WHITE from Pansat to Yamaha Reciever TV/DSS INPUT
2- RED,YELLOW,WHITE from Yamaha Reciever VCR OUT to VCR Unit INPUT
3- RED, YELLOW,WHITE from VCR Unit Output to Zenit TV INPUT
4- Set the VCR to AUX channel
5- Press Record

The VCR recorded but NO volume. Any thing you think I am doing wrong????

Also what do you mean when you say: be using it as an A/V swith or it won't work ??????

kelleyga, if you record from the Montana PBS, it should work as is. But, to get the PBS feed, you're going to have to use the SPDIF from the Pansat to the Yamaha. Then play with the different stereo selections on the Yamaha to see if you can find one that will pass through the signal from the SPDIF. On my Denon, I use the 7 channel selection and it works well. The standard selection doesn't work and some others don't work, but the 7 channel, which is the Surround Sound selection, works. Play with it and see.

Al

kelleyga said:
Hi Havenx, this is what I did, but did not work

1- RED,YELLOW, WHITE from Pansat to Yamaha Reciever TV/DSS INPUT
2- RED,YELLOW,WHITE from Yamaha Reciever VCR OUT to VCR Unit INPUT
3- RED, YELLOW,WHITE from VCR Unit Output to Zenit TV INPUT
4- Set the VCR to AUX channel
5- Press Record

The VCR recorded but NO volume. Any thing you think I am doing wrong????

Also what do you mean when you say: be using it as an A/V swith or it won't work ??????

That's close, but you need to have your digital sound to input to the receiver. Then output to your vcr through your normal vcr outputs. Most receivers will take a digital sig and crank it down to analog for recording.

YES, sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a cable coming from my Pansat to the digital input into the Yamaha. That is how I can hear the sound thru the receiver. But adding all the other steps I can not still record the sound.

I guess my Yamaha receiver does not pass the digial thru the RED, White cables...:confused: :confused:

Kelly,
If you have the source selected properly (in my case it is LD, i have a very old yamaha lol) then whatever the source is playing should be directed to the "tape out" rca jacks. BTW the stereo has to be on for this to work.

Some receivers will not output digital signals through the analog out jacks if the only signal coming in is digital (Pansat) They need an analog audio signal coming in also. The manual for my Sony receiver even says so (in very small print)
Unfortunately my Pansat doesn't output on the analog jacks on AC3 channels.

So I suppose you would need some sort of converter to change the digital signal to analog to go into the vcr input. Only problem then, you would have to split the digital audio into two outputs, one for the receiver input and one for the vcr input. Ideas anyone ??

z4ccamaro said:
Some receivers will not output digital signals through the analog out jacks if the only signal coming in is digital (Pansat) They need an analog audio signal coming in also. The manual for my Sony receiver even says so (in very small print)
hmmmmmmm Well his reciever should still ouput sound on the headphone output. Headphone output to vcr sound input :D

Use a wire (Stereo jack plug to 2 rca plugs) from from headphone jack to audio input on VCR. Though I used this to put local radio announcers to a college football game I recorded and not for ac3, should work in principle though. Just don't audio adjusted too loudly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)