Recording Stopped before game was over

HistoryGuy

Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Fairhope, PA
I recorded a football game Saturday afternoon for playback later. During playback, with about 2 or 3 minutes left in the game, the recording stopped with a message that the program was completed and the recording ended. That has never happened before when recording a sporting event. To add insult to injury, the winning touchdown was scored after the recording stopped. How do I stop this from happening again?

Reactions: charlesrshell
When you create the timer, live events ordinarily will prompt you if you want to add 30 minutes or an hour to the event so if it runs long you don't miss the ending.

By default, Sporting Events are usually automatically given top priority in the Timers list, with an extra hour tacked on at the end of the timer, to try to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Perhaps this particular game went long enough that it did not end until after that automatically added extra hour. Or, perhaps the Guide information did not have the "Sports" tag for this particular event, so the receiver did not automatically add the extra hour to the end of this timer.

To prevent this from happening again, every time you set a timer for a Sporting Event, check your Timers list, and manually edit the Timer to change the End Late option, to add more time at the end of the scheduled recording.

I recorded a football game Saturday afternoon for playback later. During playback, with about 2 or 3 minutes left in the game, the recording stopped with a message that the program was completed and the recording ended. That has never happened before when recording a sporting event. To add insult to injury, the winning touchdown was scored after the recording stopped. How do I stop this from happening again?
Any sporting timer I have set I always do an edit and extend out to 90 minutes. That will help some. On some of the racing shows I record there is usually a post show. For the race timer I edit the timer for 0 minutes. Then for the post show I would set a timer and extend out to 90 minutes. That helps for weather delays, lots of cautions in the race, etc. That is the beauty of Hopper 3s. Never no conflicts.

I simply go to the guide and record the next program on that channel, sometimes even the second. This works for any recording except on channel 540 which will just drop off to the 4K slate.

One never knows truly how long a live game will really run. I would say really add a lot more padding to the end time (like several hours) just to be sure. Most people would delete the sporting event after having viewed it very soon after recording, so it is not like it will take up room on the DVR for long. This way you can't miss the ending--unless it is one of those rare many hour long situations.

One never knows truly how long a live game will really run. I would say really add a lot more padding to the end time (like several hours) just to be sure. Most people would delete the sporting event after having viewed it very soon after recording, so it is not like it will take up room on the DVR for long. This way you can't miss the ending--unless it is one of those rare many hour long situations.
Still, in the case where someone might actually want to save the recording of that game, it would be nice if we could easily edit DVR events after they are recorded. So, deleting the last several hours of that recording if they were not needed in order to see the end of that game. Or, in the case of a baseball game with a long rain delay before the game starts, deleting the first several hours of that recording. That way, you could still save the game, without having all of those extra hours taking up space on your DVR (or on the external hard drive).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)