Recording to DVD from the 942

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bosco

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
I just got my 942 hooked up last weekend and will admit it's an awesome receiver. I really like the storage capabilities of the harddrive, but was wondering if it's possible to copy stored programing to a DVD. I'm not looking to record any of the HD programs (if that is even possible), but just SD. The only DVD burner I have is in my Dell laptop (Inspiron 9200). What would I need to make this happen..? Also, if the copy can be made ... what resolution could I expect to see on playback..?

the best way I found out is the use the tv2 output (av) to the dvd burner.. its in real time (thats the only way you can record) I run mine in single mode. and when im burning to dvd... i run it in dual mode. :)

Welcome to SatelliteGuys! It would be possible to get the recorded programs off your 942 into your laptop so that you could burn them to DVD, but you need to purchase some additional hardware first. You need a USB video capture device. Most will come with all the software you need to do the job. Check out Dazzle, Hauppague, Pinnacle Studio, to name a few. You hook up the device to the laptop via USB2 or Firewire then hook into the 942 with RCA cables (Red, White & Yellow). You lose a little in the quality as you are importing 480i, but it would be better than video tape. You would be able to rip and burn any HD programs, but the DVD would only be SD quality. Good luck.

Last edited:
In theory?

I'm fairly new to the joys of A/V, came across this post, and got to thinking...

I'm in the planning stages of building a HTPC and I'm aware of the current limitations of recording HD content (or rather, the inability to do so) but DVDDAD's comments led me down this path... :devil:

Would it be possible to use something like this http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/KD-FIRE1080P.htm with one of these http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Advanced+Video/Liquid+Edition/Avid+Liquid+Pro+7.htm to record HD content from the 942 onto a HDD/Dual Layer DVD in MPEG4? While the resulting DVD would not be "true" HD, it might be pretty darn close?

942 via HDMI-->Hanna via 1394-->Avid via 1394-->HTPC

It's impractical for me because of the cost of the components... but is it theoretically possible?

Apologies for the slightly off topic post and daydreaming, but this seemed like a good place to ask :wave

Originally posted by DVDDAD
You need a USB video capture device. Most will come with all the software you need to do the job. Check out Dazzle, Hauppague, Pinnacle Studio, to name a few.
Thanks for the info about the video capture device. I actually bought Dazzle several years ago for my wife so that see could edit videos from her digital camcorder. When the camcorder got broken we put the Dazzle stuff up. Not sure if that old Dazzle will work as I believe it an through the old USB 1.1. I will look at purchasing something a little more up to date.
Originally posted by DVDDAD
You hook up the device to the laptop via USB2 or Firewire then hook into the 942 with RCA cables (Red, White & Yellow). You lose a little in the quality as you are importing 480i, but it would be better than video tape.
I assume you mean to hook the RCA cables to TV2 output as mentioned by goaliebob. So, do I understand correctly that TV2 output is 480i..? Just wondering why one couldn't hookup to TV1 HD output using component cables.

Tom Bombadil said:
Yes, I do miss the s-video output for this very reason.

Recordings of SD shows are worse off of my 942 than they were from my 510, because there is no s-video out.

I thought that would happen too but it didn't. I've used my Panasonic E-85 with a 508 (S-Vid), an 811 (via S-Vid) and a 942 (via composite) and my 942 recordings are every bit as good as what I recorded from the 811 or the 508.

I don't know how but IMHO the composite outputs of the 942 provide just a good a picture as either the 811 or 508 did from S-Vid.

Bosco said:
I assume you mean to hook the RCA cables to TV2 output as mentioned by goaliebob. So, do I understand correctly that TV2 output is 480i..? Just wondering why one couldn't hookup to TV1 HD output using component cables.
Basically it's a limit of the capture devices. Short of expensive pro quality capture devices, the devices are limited to 480i composite or S-video.
This is not as much a limitation as it seems, since DVD resolution is only 720 x 480i anyway.
Bob

Let's say that I may decide on a DVD recorder instead of utilizing my laptop. That way I will have a more permanent installation instead having to hookup the laptop everytime I want to record. Any suggestions on a quality recorder ...? I've always liked Denon products ... but would like to limit my purchase to $350 or less.

I am going to be trying to go out of the 942 via the component out this weekend at 480i to my sony HX900 at 480i doing HD stuff. Granted it won't be hd anymore but it should be DVD quality I would think. Will let you know.

Bosco said:
Let's say that I may decide on a DVD recorder instead of utilizing my laptop. That way I will have a more permanent installation instead having to hookup the laptop everytime I want to record. Any suggestions on a quality recorder ...? I've always liked Denon products ... but would like to limit my purchase to $350 or less.

I love my LG LRY-517. I figured it would be the last recorder I ever buy with Bluray around the corner. It has a built in VCR, records on DVD+DL, plays MP3, WMA, DIVX, the whole 9 yards. It can probably be had for about the price you're looking for at BB & they have a similar model (LRY-516), sans VHS for probably $50-60 less. I think it records great & I can archive the remaining VHS tapes I have laying about.

About the only downside is it has no s-video in on the back, only on the front panel. I actually have my DVR downstairs & just ran some coax and record off ch3 on my recorder. That works good enough for me archiving TV shows, Discovery, History, A&E type stuff I usually watch.

Movies & full TV seasons, I usually get on DVD since I want the full 5.1, extras & whatnot. But for recording the type of programs I record, I think it's nifty.

Of course, you can probably wait a few months & we'll see what the BD recorders will offer, but I'm sure those will be BIG$$.

LOL! I just looked at my post & it added a link to the model # for BB, right at the price point you were looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts