Recording to DVD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gaspode

Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
New here. sorry if this is repeat.

Why are some channels recordable to dvd and others not?

Is there anyway to get around it if they are not?

All of my channels are recordable to DVD. You have to output your satellite receiver to 480i and you should be able to record any channel. DVD's now available only record SD 480i outputs. Soon they will probably have HD recording DVD's. My wife has DVD'd hundreds of satellite movies but if the sat receiver doesn't output in 480i selection it won't work.

What DirecTV receiver?

What connection type to the DVD recorder?

What output resolution setting from the DirecTV receiver?

What make & model DVD recorder?

What exactly is not happening or is happening?

The satalite receiver is a model R15.

The DVD recorder is a Sony RDRVX530.

I do not have HD.

I can record movies from Showtime and TCM but not HBO, Starz, Cinemax, IFC or even AMC.

I don't know what 480i is or where to check.

I'm not very tech savvvy so it may be hard to answer your question.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've read that there are some DVD recorders that take a singal from the program / receiver / channel to block recording. A SONY dvd-recorder would not suprise me, since they pretty much lead the content blocking parade.

Probably need to try a different brand DVD recorder, and you'll be happier.

I've read that there are some DVD recorders that take a singal from the program / receiver / channel to block recording. A SONY dvd-recorder would not suprise me, since they pretty much lead the content blocking parade.

Probably need to try a different brand DVD recorder, and you'll be happier.

FYI: I recorded a couple of movies to my HR20 during the recent Starz Free Weekend. I wanted to free some space on the HR and attempted to lay off a movie to DVD. My LG DVD recorder would not allow it. These were NOT PPV movies, but regular (old) Starz movies like Sixth Sense and Hoax. So... looks like it's not just Sony. I was connected to the HR20 via composite (RCA) patch cables.

FYI: I recorded a couple of movies to my HR20 during the recent Starz Free Weekend. I wanted to free some space on the HR and attempted to lay off a movie to DVD. My LG DVD recorder would not allow it. These were NOT PPV movies, but regular (old) Starz movies like Sixth Sense and Hoax. So... looks like it's not just Sony. I was connected to the HR20 via composite (RCA) patch cables.

LG makes many Sony items. Even thought that may not be the case; just FYI

Get you a Digital Video Stabilizer, you can find them for about $40. You'd go from your Sat Output to the Stabilizer to your DVD -- that bypasses the CGMS/Macrovision filters placed in the TV Stream by content providers. It's not illegal to buy one of those. I was having that same problem, older DVD Recorders don't acknowledge the new copyright rules, but new ones do. Once I bought one, I was able to record.

laser disc to dvd?

Has anyone had any luck recording from old laser discs to standard DVD's?

I mean, I know it can be done, but does the PQ stay the same, get worse or (hopefully) better? In other words, is there something inherent in DVD's (3/2 pull-down, whatever) that improves the laser disc image enough to allow play on large screen TV's?

I have a laser disc of BURN, WITCH, BURN and a few others still unavailable on DVD that I'd love to transfer to DVD here at home, but is it worth it? My screen is 73" and while my upconvert Helios DVD player does a great job, would I get the same or near same quality with DVD's transfered from old laser discs?

My guess is no; I'd be stuck with whatever quality is on the laser disc. and the DVD would not improve it significantly. Anybody have any ideas?

Bruce

New here. sorry if this is repeat.

Why are some channels recordable to dvd and others not?

Is there anyway to get around it if they are not?

All channels that I am authorized to get are recordable on my DVD recorder. Make sure that the timers on both the receiver and recorder are set correctly, otherwise you will get a black screen insread of the show you were trying to record.

All of my channels are recordable to DVD. You have to output your satellite receiver to 480i and you should be able to record any channel. DVD's now available only record SD 480i outputs. Soon they will probably have HD recording DVD's. My wife has DVD'd hundreds of satellite movies but if the sat receiver doesn't output in 480i selection it won't work.

My DVD recorder will record any resolution output by my H21 receiver, but of course, it records in 480i. But I do find that if I record an HD 1080i channel at the highest recording speed, it does produce a noticeably better picture that recording an SD channel.

The DVR may be the issue. Probably copyright issues prevent you from transferring a DVR recording to DVD. Try recording live from the receiver to the DVD recorder, you should have no problem.

The DVR may be the issue. Probably copyright issues prevent you from transferring a DVR recording to DVD. Try recording live from the receiver to the DVD recorder, you should have no problem.
I suspect you are correct but I have previously recorded HBO movies that I had "DVRed" to DVD without this issue though. I'm going to experiment with live and with non-premium programming and will report back.:cool:

There is a signal in the data stream of most of the pay movie channels that will not allow you to burn the film on most newer DVD recorders and PC burners. It is there generally by the film companies and not necessarily the cable channel. I have run across it on the majority of the films on HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Stars and I think Encore.

Even recording it on my PC as a Home shopping channel it was still blocked since the signal is in a small section of the data stream. So not much you can do with it unless you get one of the signal stabilizers that can strip that signal out of the data stream as it boosts the other signals in the stream.

i have it set to always 1080i and have never had a problem taping anything.

Since I purchased my Digital Video Stabilizer, I can record anything I want, when I want. VOD, PPV, HD, etc. The HD isn't actually HD when i'm recording, its 480i to my DVD Recorder, so I have the black bars on top/bottom of the DVD recording. Who cares, it's widescreen format in that case ;)

i have it set to always 1080i and have never had a problem taping anything.

I thought about what you said and you may be right about the HR20 not having to be set to 480i output. We set up the DVD recorder with the HR10 250 which will not output the SD 480i video when using the 1080i signal for your TV. When we got the HR20 100 I was already in the habit of switching to 480i output. I will try leaving it in 1080i on the next attempt with the HR20. That will save one step.:)

Since I purchased my Digital Video Stabilizer, I can record anything I want, when I want. VOD, PPV, HD, etc. The HD isn't actually HD when i'm recording, its 480i to my DVD Recorder, so I have the black bars on top/bottom of the DVD recording. Who cares, it's widescreen format in that case ;)

even if you tape hd (you are correct thats its not recorded in hd but) the recording should still fit the entire 16x9 screen if what you were recording did as well....in other words if the show you were recording didnt have the black bars on it, then your recording of that show shouldnt either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts