recording

sallywils

Original poster
May 20, 2010
GA
I have DVR, but I sure would like to be able to record a show on DVD once in a while. I've tried every way I know how to connect my DVD recorder to a stand-alone receiver I had put in my guest room, but I cannot get it to work. I understand why Dish wants to make it so difficult to do this so people won't record PPV movies and sell them or whatever, but I have no intention of doing that. I have a friend who has "the other" satellite service. She travels and won't leave her receiver on (fear of a fire) to record her shows, so she asks me to record them. Naturally, I record on DVR, so there's no way to get her a copy. Once I set up my camcorder and recorded a DVR'd show as it played on my TV. Talk about tedious! I had to use Windows Movie Maker to put the camcorder recording on disc.

Is there ANY way to connect my recorder to my satellite? Is it just impossible?

As the other guy's recorders are UL listed, I'd prevail upon your friend to get over her fear of the DVR catching fire (unless the DVR is enclosed in a box of some sort and shuts down frequently due to overheating). DVRs are no more dangerous when you're away than they are when you're home.

I would also note that the Customer Agreement prohibits sharing of programming you receive from DISH (as does the other guy's).

Unless your friend unplugs her receiver she really isn't turning it off. It is still powered up, just like a Dish receiver. It's in Stand By Mode.

You can easily record anything from a DISH receiver to a DVD, but not in HD. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and can record either to a DVD or to it's own hard drive using the composite video and audio connection.

Same here. I use a Toshiba DR-7. I have my D* HR24 & Bell 6141(Vip 211K) both hooked up via S-Video to the DR-7, and it works very well. Of course I only record stuff I want to keep that has yet to get a BD release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Toshiba DVD recorder. I use the composite output from the Hopper and the recordings are actually pretty watchable. I use it for when I have to sleep during an event and am going to be where I can watch the recording on a computer. Don't really like using my phone to watch through and the computers won't allow me to install Dish Anywhere.

I've made DVDs from recordings on my 722 & 722K many times with no problem using composite (yellow for video) & red/white (for audio) as well as S-Video (a little better video quality but only on the 722/NON K). This is done in real time of course. The recordings are on the DVR, then played into the DVD recorder.
Let us know what receiver you have and how you have tried to make a DVD from it--cables, connections, etc.

Ed

Yep...Dish in no way makes it "hard" to record to DVD. Hook up the DVD with the composite connections (I use S-Video from my 722) & record whatever is on the DVR. I've copied lots of stuff off my DVR to DVD.

And I'll add my 2 cents that it's pretty silly to not use a DVR because of fear of fire. First time I've heard anything like that.

Reactions: KAB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts