Recordings being cut off

JavaJohnson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
I have the original Hopper with the external Sling adapter, and 2 joeys. I'm in the Philly market and use PTAT for all 7 days, and have done so since day 1 of my hopper.

For the past several months I've been noticing more and more of my shows seem to have the recordings messed up. At first I thought it was just sporting events running over (as it was often CBS Sunday night), but now it is extending to other networks and shows.

Usually it is shows being cut off in the last 15 minutes or so. For example, I was watching the 4/12 episode of Battle Creek, which airs on CBS Sunday night. The show started on time, and PTAT recorded it. Hopper showed that the episode was 1 hr, but when playing it, it was actually only 45 minutes. The last 15 minutes were completely gone.

This has also happened with a few Mythbusters, and several other network shows.

Its really driving my wife nuts, and by proxy, driving me nuts.

Any advice? Should I try to upgrade to a HWS and a Super Joey, I'd love the extra tuners.

Thanks

When it ends early, try hitting the skip back button immediately and see if it'll play or ff again past the point it stopped. I've seen glitches like this before and usually I would just chalk it up to a recording error, but one time I tried it it worked. Worth a shot before deleting the recording.

Is it possible you are losing signal or something if the nature at those times? What is your current sig strength?

15 mins is a loooong time.

I personally have my timers set to start on time and end 1 min late, and have not seen an issue. I am also about a month behind, so if there is a problem now, I'll complain about it in late May. :)

Not sure of my current signal strength, but we rarely have trouble except during bad storms, we haven't had any recently. And the picture is perfect right up until the recording ends, usually you'd see a few small skips or something in there.

As far as skipping back/forward, none of that works. I've tried restarting the program, fast forwarding ,etc. no dice. It really seems like a software glitch of some sort. One designed to annoy my wife to no end.

So this happened again on an episode of Castle recorded on 4/27/15 Hopper recorded only 5 minutes of the show. I checked another show I had recorded at that time, NCIS LA, and it also was only about 5 minutes long.

We had no bad weather that night, and even if we did, wouldn't we only lose a portion of the show?

Does anyone have any advice? Is my hopper getting flakey? Should I contact DIRT?

I never watch Letterman but recorded the last show. The end was cut way short. The foo fighters performance, final farewell and whatever else was missing. Cut short. Ran over. I don't know what, except I'm torqued.

I never watch Letterman but recorded the last show. The end was cut way short. The foo fighters performance, final farewell and whatever else was missing. Cut short. Ran over. I don't know what, except I'm torqued.
It ran 17 minutes longer than normal. So, your Hopper did not cut off anything. Go watch the end on-line, like I did.

So it's MY fault? No it's whomever does the guide on my hopper. The little elf in the box.
I'm rural. No broadband, thus I have satellite TV at almost $200 a month. Oops. Here take my money, I'll go sit in my corner and be quiet.

So it's MY fault? No it's whomever does the guide on my hopper. The little elf in the box.
I'm rural. No broadband, thus I have satellite TV at almost $200 a month. Oops. Here take my money, I'll go sit in my corner and be quiet.
OK, whatever.

I'll have to feed the cattle then go to the Christian coffee house for free wifi in town and grab it on my phone next time I have to go to the feed store.

Because it was the last show, CBS decided to let it run over so as to not lose any of the fun that was happening. Nobody was told, and by nobody I mean providers and guides, just how long that overrun might be. I set a timer for the next program to make sure that I recorded any overrun. It is simply a good habit to have when these kinds of events happen. Example, you would always want to add time to any awards show.....

Reactions: ChadT41
Because it was the last show, CBS decided to let it run over so as to not lose any of the fun that was happening. Nobody was told, and by nobody I mean providers and guides, just how long that overrun might be. I set a timer for the next program to make sure that I recorded any overrun. It is simply a good habit to have when these kinds of events happen. Example, you would always want to add time to any awards show.....
I didn't watch it, but I assumed that's what it was when I saw this. That all said, it's a good idea to add extra time, anytime a major sport is playing before prime time begins. I lost Some shows once because of a football game that was on earlier, so since then any sport in the guide in a channel I plan on watching, and I extend by Atleast 1 hour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts