recordings deleted before episode limit reached

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
I have a Hopper With Sling with whatever the latest software version is (last time I checked anyway). Tonight I went to watch some recordings from last year. I was surprised to find that I only had 10 episodes, going back to shortly after the start of this year, even though I had never changed the timer from the default 20 episodes. To be sure, I checked, and it was still at 20. There are older programs on the DVR than the first remaining episode, and the disk is NOT full (or at least the Hopper claims it isn't, it says 78% -- hopefully that's the user partition and not the whole disk; I wouldn't think they would be that stupid but then again this is Dish we're talking about...)

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

I have a Hopper With Sling with whatever the latest software version is (last time I checked anyway). Tonight I went to watch some recordings from last year. I was surprised to find that I only had 10 episodes, going back to shortly after the start of this year, even though I had never changed the timer from the default 20 episodes. To be sure, I checked, and it was still at 20. There are older programs on the DVR than the first remaining episode, and the disk is NOT full (or at least the Hopper claims it isn't, it says 78% -- hopefully that's the user partition and not the whole disk; I wouldn't think they would be that stupid but then again this is Dish we're talking about...)

Has anyone else ever had this happen?
The Hopper will delete older content that is not protected. I understand that there is other content that is older. However, anytime that the receiver reaches a certain threshold the older content will be deleted that is not protected to record new content. If you plan on saving content for longevity I would suggest getting an External Hard drive as a back up source to store your data on.

1. You may purchase an external hard drive to back up your recordings, which can be purchased at any electronics retailer. The drive should be:
    • no smaller than 50 GB and no larger than 2 TB
    • have its own power supply
    • must support USB 2.0
    • must not use flash memory and should only be a single-hard disk drive

What is your settings for Max. Events to Keep? I believe, but not sure, it is a default of 10.
Go to MENU>SETTINGS>DVR DEFAULTS>DVR TIMER DEFAULTS and check how many events are indicate under the Max. Events to Keep column. I have mine set to "ALL." And I have recorded complete series with more than 10 episodes (events) with no problem. But my hard drive is very rarely past 35% full.

The Hopper will delete older content that is not protected. I understand that there is other content that is older. However, anytime that the receiver reaches a certain threshold the older content will be deleted that is not protected to record new content.

:mad:

And so what is that threshold? I would've thought that it would only apply if it was imminently running out of space. 78% full is still 22% empty, and I certainly don't have anything scheduled that would come close to filling it up in the near future!

If this is indeed the case that it deletes recordings seemingly capriciously, it should be WELL DOCUMENTED as to exactly what the criteria are, so that customers can avoid it!

I guess I'll just have to set all my timers to automatically protect everything. Once again, Dish pulls a consumer-hostile move for no reason...

:mad:

And so what is that threshold? I would've thought that it would only apply if it was imminently running out of space. 78% full is still 22% empty, and I certainly don't have anything scheduled that would come close to filling it up in the near future!

If this is indeed the case that it deletes recordings seemingly capriciously, it should be WELL DOCUMENTED as to exactly what the criteria are, so that customers can avoid it!

I guess I'll just have to set all my timers to automatically protect everything. Once again, Dish pulls a consumer-hostile move for no reason...
You are so right...

If the % does not reflect the usable space, that we use to judge the DANGER ZONE it needs to be fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)