Recovering an s10

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmc98

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 11, 2005
32.750N 97.488W Fort worth Tx
My openbox s10 started saying no channel after changing the tp list to north America and started constantly rebooting now all I get is a faint 8 and can't recover the unit though the serial port

Can anyone guide me through recovering the box from this problem

Before going any further, get a small fan or any fan you may have close and put it over the top of the box meanwhile. Why using the serial port to update? Do you have a blank screen?? No Video? I suppose you have a S10 late model without Component Output probably just HDMI and Analog Yellow/Wht/Red???? Try to find an old small TV and make both connections (HDMI and RCA connectors) Either one should give you video (probably faint but readible). Once you find video go straight to the MENU area. Go to the SYSTEM SETUP press OK and go to TV SYSTEM. Arrow right or left on VIDEO RESULUTION until you get VIDEO on your TV using the HDMI (Probably by 1080i_60). Now that the video is properly set go back to the TOOLS section and do a factory Default. Once it finished you can go ahead and load your firmware version (Which one I can recommend: OpenboxS10-20110719 from here Download / Software_Shenzhen Yojia Technology Co., Ltd.). Do your sats configuration ports and scan them. Wish you the best.

Do some arragenment to get a small fan so you can keep it over it 24/7

Before going any further, get a small fan or any fan you may have close and put it over the top of the box meanwhile. Why using the serial port to update? Do you have a blank screen?? No Video? I suppose you have a S10 late model without Component Output probably just HDMI and Analog Yellow/Wht/Red???? Try to find an old small TV and make both connections (HDMI and RCA connectors) Either one should give you video (probably faint but readible). Once you find video go straight to the MENU area. Go to the SYSTEM SETUP press OK and go to TV SYSTEM. Arrow right or left on VIDEO RESULUTION until you get VIDEO on your TV using the HDMI (Probably by 1080i_60). Now that the video is properly set go back to the TOOLS section and do a factory Default. Once it finished you can go ahead and load your firmware version (Which one I can recommend: OpenboxS10-20110719 from here Download / Software_Shenzhen Yojia Technology Co., Ltd.). Do your sats configuration ports and scan them. Wish you the best.

Do some arragenment to get a small fan so you can keep it over it 24/7

the box wont boot up is why i am using the serial port

OK so all you need to do is download the openbox auxiliary files including the loader here FTA Firmware - Downloads - SatelliteGuys - America's Satellite & Home Theater Technology Information Source!
Connect your box to your comm port (com 1) on your computer (using the null cable), follow the instructions in .pdf file and load the Hds America firm (for S9). Once it load the america file and boot then you can go ahead and make the update to the firm version you desire. Still, will recommend the fan and the firm version I mentioned before

carlospr43 said:
OK so all you need to do is download the openbox auxiliary files including the loader here FTA Firmware - Downloads - SatelliteGuys - America's Satellite & Home Theater Technology Information Source!
Connect your box to your comm port (com 1) on your computer (using the null cable), follow the instructions in .pdf file and load the Hds America firm (for S9). Once it load the america file and boot then you can go ahead and make the update to the firm version you desire. Still, will recommend the fan and the firm version I mentioned before

So I guess the box overheats causing the issues I'm seeing ?

newer firmware the hotter.
I have a 12v fan on my processor,I use an old 486 cpu fan.
Not all old s9 firmware will boot on the s10,especially pre-april 2011 firmware.
Some say file mismatch,others will load but not boot.

newer firmware the hotter.
I have a 12v fan on my processor,I use an old 486 cpu fan.
Not all old s9 firmware will boot on the s10,especially pre-april 2011 firmware.
Some say file mismatch,others will load but not boot.

how do you add a cpu fan to the processor ?

there is a 12v connector on the power supply for a 12v connector on the back of the receiver(phono plug).
I just disconnected that wire and plugged a 12v fan in.
BTW the back connector is mislabeled 50ma,it is good for much more than that.

Adding additional strain to these frail power supplies might not be the best idea. Seems that an off-board power source might be more suitable!

Adding additional strain to these frail power supplies might not be the best idea. Seems that an off-board power source might be more suitable!

That makes a lot of sense.

Actually, my first idea to cure this issue was to reduce the strain on the S10 power supply to zero...by unplugging it, and replacing it with a GEOSATPRO microHD. :D

jmc98, I am totally inexperienced in recovering boxes, and not much more experienced in even doing something as simple as a firmware upgrade. I don't do any recording with any of my FTA receivers, and just use my AzBox as a slave (doesn't control motors), so if my stuff works for what I use it for (and it does) I don't try to fix something that's not broken.

That being said, and not being knowledgeable enough to know if it is the correct procedure but assuming it is...have you tried doing what Carlos suggested in the post I quoted here in my post?

I know nothing of S10s but I have never had any heat issues with my 2 S9s, even my AzBox doesn't run very hot, probably doesn't need the laptop cooler I have on it.

Earlier generation (different chips I presume) HD receivers that I have owned got pretty hot though.

The micro hd may be my next receiver but I need the openbox to work so I can sell it to get the micro hd instead
Sell??
Let's see I still have my first Digiwave,Traxis 4500,3(4 if you count the dead one)Coolsat 5ks,2Pansat 2700,Neusat 9000 HD,Coolsat 8k and the AZ Ultra.Currently using the Ultra,1 5k and occasionally the 8k.Plus the 4DTV,s(4 now,2 in use) and a bunch of analog only receivers and even more crap ; D

Oh and I'm sure a Micro HD will be joining the collection at some point !

Last edited:
no luck in recovery the s10 i got even with carlospr43 suggestion about out of options except for taking it apart i have the firmware from the seller but i cant get past set stb: memory error i using a 25ft null modem cable is that the problem?

I used to salvage old 9pin serial mouse cables,which had the correct connectors.
You just need three pins; 2,3, and 5 connected.
2-3
3-2
5-5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)