Red Line

Delta18

Feb 2, 2012
Pinjarra Western Australia
Hi guys, I'm new to Dishpointer usage and this forum as I have only just downloaded the app to my Motorola Fire XT phone.

It seems to be working ok but I find it difficult to find my satellite Optus c1 which is the only one of interest to me.

Maybe I have the DT's but there is just so much shaking going on I can hardly see what is happening. I will persevere with it as it may be something I am doing.

My question as the topic suggests, what does the red line represent? Initially I thought it was the satellite track but realised soon that was a silly idea.

Another thing, I only seem to be able to see anything in 'landscape' ie: phone horizontal. Is that as should be?

Cheers Neil

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Hello Neil,

The red line is the clarke belt. All geostationary satellites are positioned along this belt.

The default orientation of the android app is landscape but you should be able to rotate the phone in any direction and the satellites should rotate with it.

As for the jittery, it seems that some hardware compasses are quite noisy so I will introduce a higher damping value with the next update to smooth out the movement a bit.

Regards
Alan

Delta18

Feb 2, 2012
Pinjarra Western Australia
Thanks Alan, I don't really understand this Clarke Belt but I will look it up.

Re: the jitters, someone suggested that once the general direction is found to turn off the compass. I will try this.

Consistency seems to be an issue for me. I am home at present and well know where Optus C1 sat is but often when I try to show off the app to a friend I can't get it to show up. Some are beginning to think I am a dreamer I reckon.

My use for the app will be when our caravan comes out of hibernation & we start travelling again. When on the road we generally set up the sat dish every night at a camp site which is often surrounded by trees so I want it working reliably then.

Cheers Neil

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Hello Neil,

Please remember that the app needs to know your location in order to show the satellite positions. No location - no satellites. Also play around with the compass a bit and get a feel for it, when it works best and when not.

Regards
Alan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)