Red MoCA, yet full bars...what does it mean?

Most likely the RG59 was causing signal reflections as generally it's not a good idea to mix RG59 with RG6. So say from the node to the splitter was RG6, then you ran RG6 to another room, while the other room still uses RG59, reflections from the difference in capacitance would cause excess noise.

Most likely the RG59 was causing signal reflections as generally it's not a good idea to mix RG59 with RG6. So say from the node to the splitter was RG6, then you ran RG6 to another room, while the other room still uses RG59, reflections from the difference in capacitance would cause excess noise.

I love this website. I learn something new everyday.

Any change in impedance in the coax will cause attenuation further down the line, and an inverted reflection in the reverse direction. But RG59 and RG6 have the same impedance, so why would a splice cause reflections? Crappy splice? Is one of these coax lines unterminated?

Any change in impedance in the coax will cause attenuation further down the line, and an inverted reflection in the reverse direction. But RG59 and RG6 have the same impedance, so why would a splice cause reflections? Crappy splice? Is one of these coax lines unterminated?
I agree. One of my Joeys is on a 20ft run of new RG6 installed by E* spliced to 15ft of 25 year old RG59. It works fine and shows a RX rate of 293+Mbps and -18 dBm Rx power.

Big difference between 15ft and 100+ft of RG59. Also, impedance isn't all that matters. Capacitance also matters. RG59 tends to have higher capacitance.

Big difference between 15ft and 100+ft of RG59. Also, impedance isn't all that matters. Capacitance also matters. RG59 tends to have higher capacitance.

True and that would cause attenuation but not reflection, which is the point TheKrell was making.

I wonder what bit rate subs with problems are getting? If it's a proper test is should reflect thruput, good - bad packets, and could be a better indicator of network quality. I see syphix was only getting about 153Mbps on the RX side while I get 293+ on both tx and rx across my network.

Well if one were to use RG6 connectors on RG59 that could cause impedance issues which would cause reflections. Unterminated connections as well (although that's not limited to RG59.)

All I know is that Dish says that ONLY FULL GREEN bars are acceptable for their installers to leave intact. So if I don't see full green bars on all of my Joeys and Hoppers (3 Hoppers and 1 Joey all full green bars here on nothing but RG6) then I will be replacing the cables/connectors/components.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts