Red Sox in HD on NESN - who gets it ?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Anyone know if this is just a cable thing or if there's any possibility that Dish's signal of NESN will be in HD ?

WaltinVt

What determines if a channel gets carried ?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Its just a cable thing, the games are not produced by NESN, instead COMCAST is the one who produces the HD productions.

Is the NESN HD a seperate channel (like ESPN has their HD channel and also an SD channel) or has the regular NESN channel just gone HD ?

Does Comcast also produce the regular NESN channel that Dish carries ?

Please pardon my ignorance but I've never been clear on this.

What really (other than the usual bandwidth issues) determines who carries a particular channel and who doesn't ? Dosen't the producer want as much exposure as they can get since that's how they survive ?

Is this a case of Comcast thinking keeping NESN HD away from Satellite gives them a competative edge and outweighs the lost viewership ? Why not keep the SD version of NESN away too ?

This brings up a hyperthetical question.

This would be a gutsy call and probably never happen but what if one of these companies all of a sudden decided to only provide HD signals of their most popular channels and insisted any carrier had to pass them on that way ?

Probably a stupid thought but maybe something like it is needed to really light a fire under all concerned - including consumers.

WaltinVt

NESN HD is produced by NESN and has nothing to do with Comcast except being shown on InHD channel. Comcast does not have InHD2 anymore. As a matter of fact, NESN HD is used for SD broadcast too as they just take center cut and downconvert it.
BTW, NESN HD is now available on COX cable. They prempt InHD2 whenever there is home game.

Thanks CKNA, my information on that was based on what was published in the Hartford Courant, it had some validity since all the ads seem to be for Comcast. :)

CKNA said:
NESN HD is produced by NESN and has nothing to do with Comcast except being shown on InHD channel. Comcast does not have InHD2 anymore. As a matter of fact, NESN HD is used for SD broadcast too as they just take center cut and downconvert it.
BTW, NESN HD is now available on COX cable. They prempt InHD2 whenever there is home game.
So back to my origional questions. Since Dish carries NESN, what determines if Dish will relay the HD version of the signal to customers with HD capability ?

In other words, who's responsible for why the Sox game I see on Dish Network's NESN channel IS NOT in HD and what can be done about it ?

WaltinVt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)