Whats the best strategy for BD survival at this point

• Lower Hardware Prices

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Lower Software Prices

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Lower Both

Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters
Yep, DTS Master HD is the only thing that is missing IMO. We all know the PS3 has the horsepower, I gotta believe it's some business decision not a technical one at this point.

Heck if you add up all the improvements the PS3 has gotten (not bug fixes, but new features) and then look at what you paid for it then compare what you would have paid had you changed hardware to get all these features, the cost of ownership just keeps decreasing.

Welcome nat!

CSS, I completely understand where you are coming from. Also, you're gonna be competing with me and many others on the lemmings that unload their HD DVD's. :)

Yepp, I recently bought a nice Sony (i know, the devil) rcvr(not Master cpable) with 3 hdmi in/1 out and I love it. Paired with the Polk speakers I bought sound is exceptional. I really notice the difference in between a dvd and HDM.

Teachsac's last post in the other thread
Got me thinking. I do agree that there would need to be some recoup, so what way do you think is BEST for HDM survival.

My opinion is keep the software where its at and drop the hardware and here's why:

Game systems do not sell well until they hit a price point, but software sells at high prices if its a great title. I think cheaper players matter more than cheaper movies. Get the players out there and people will buy the movies and it will INCREASE rental demand which is also important. Lets face it, I'd have paid $40 for transformers if they wanted it.

Most people won't pay these types of prices though. $24.99 at B&M for catalogs, 27.99 and up for new releases?

Games can demand higher prices because of continued enjoyment. Movies usually don't, unless it's a kid's title or a classic. But even then, I've watched Little Mermaid more times than LOTR, INDY, Star Wars, etc. put together multiplied by 1,000,000 (well, maybe a little exageration). Software needs to be at 19.99 like DVD with new releases that week for $15-$16 and I don't see it happening this year. That would be almost 50% of Sony's and Fox's MSRP.

My prediction is HDM will still remain a niche product.

S~

Last edited:
Waiting on Toshiba - Media Wonk - Blog on ContentAgenda.com - 1500000150

None of the facts have changed, one studio exec said. The problems that existed [with Blu-ray] in December still exist. They didn’t go away because Warner changed sides.

Among those, in the exec’s view, are disc manufacturing constraints, high costs and high consumer prices.
I think the days of falling prices are over, another studio exec said. The hardware is going to be $300, and discs are going to be $27. We’ll see if the consumer buys it.

Well,

I think we can say at this point, is we should not believe anything we read until its official.

The studio will lie, and so will HDDVD/BD.

Yepp, I recently bought a nice Sony (i know, the devil) rcvr(not Master cpable) with 3 hdmi in/1 out and I love it. Paired with the Polk speakers I bought sound is exceptional. I really notice the difference in between a dvd and HDM.

Which model did you get and how much did you pay? I'm looking to upgrade soon now that I have a PS3, and I am comparing the Sony and Onkyo A/V receivers.

Yepp, I got it for like $319 on Black Friday, love it.

Running a Polk center, Polk 10" sub and polk 6.5" floors. Sounds great!

I hate to tell you this but it's under $300 at Amazon right now with free shipping.

Will I get the DolbyTrueHD via HDMI from BDs on the PS3?

Yes but its 6.1 not 7.1. Kinda odd IMO.

Dunno why it is, but it was the one I wanted. I dont have that many anyways. I went for the setup and the hdmi inputs. Its nice having 4 a/v cables for everything.

Thought about the 910 but it was $100 more and I surely did not need 7.1

I hate to tell you this but it's under $300 at Amazon right now with free shipping.

Will I get the DolbyTrueHD via HDMI from BDs on the PS3?

No.

Dolby® Digital Decoding: Yes
Dolby® Pro Logic® II Decoding: Yes
DTS® 96/24 Decoding: Yes
DTS® NEO:6 Decoding: Yes
Dolby® Digital EX Decoding: Yes
Dolby® Pro Logic® IIX Decoding: Yes
Dolby® Pro Logic® Decoding: Yes
DTS®-ES Decoding: Yes
Digital Cinema Sound™ Technology: Yes

Have to go to the 2100 for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts