Reduced picture quality on a 211K with EHD connected vs. disconnected?

Charade

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
I just activated the EHD on my 211K and I'm not sure, but it looks like the overall quality (compression artifacts) both HD and SD with the EHD attached is reduced compared to 211K without the EHD attached. Is something anyone else noticed?

Now I'm watching TV with the EHD disconnected and I swear the picture quality is reduced. Something changed. Is this possible for Dish to increase the compression when the DVR function is activated (with the EHD connected or not)?

No it isn't possible. Has nothing to do with what is coming off sat. So if there is less PQ it's not due to EHDD.

Unless Dish was messing with the compression at the source (right now), which I know they do from time to time, the quality is reduced after having the EHD/DVR feature activated. My local ABC news channel was razor sharp before and now it's softer and I've noticed other programming is also softer, has more compression artifacts and has more motion blurring. My TV (Vizio) has a motion blur reduction feature and when it was set to low (low, med or high) it was so noticeable that my non-techie wife commented on it when it was on, so I turned it off. Now that I've activated the EHD/DVR feature, that feature hardly makes a difference. I'm going to call/chat with Dish and have them (if they can) deactivate it and then reactivate it to see if there really is a difference. If there is, I will be quite disappointed because I just spent $$ on upgrading to HD and spent $25 (they gave me a $15 discount on the EHD activation) to get DVR and now locked into a 2 year contract.

Doesn't on other systems

Unless Dish was messing with the compression at the source (right now), which I know they do from time to time, the quality is reduced after having the EHD/DVR feature activated. My local ABC news channel was razor sharp before and now it's softer and I've noticed other programming is also softer, has more compression artifacts and has more motion blurring. My TV (Vizio) has a motion blur reduction feature and when it was set to low (low, med or high) it was so noticeable that my non-techie wife commented on it when it was on, so I turned it off. Now that I've activated the EHD/DVR feature, that feature hardly makes a difference. I'm going to call/chat with Dish and have them (if they can) deactivate it and then reactivate it to see if there really is a difference. If there is, I will be quite disappointed because I just spent $$ on upgrading to HD and spent $25 (they gave me a $15 discount on the EHD activation) to get DVR and now locked into a 2 year contract.

I doesn't make any difference on either 622 or 722k cause I've had both. If it makes any difference on yours then there is something not working correctly on the 211k. It isn't part of the input or output chain so it just doesn't make any sense that it would change PQ.

Where are you located. And what ABC channel are you talking about? But, knowing E* they probally screwing with the bit rate in order to cram another channel on the same transponder. With that said, Starz appears to be their next victim.:rant:

I doesn't make any difference on either 622 or 722k cause I've had both. If it makes any difference on yours then there is something not working correctly on the 211k. It isn't part of the input or output chain so it just doesn't make any sense that it would change PQ.

The 622 and 722 are DVRs only so you wouldn't be able to compare image quality between DVR function enabled or disabled . The 211K is a non-DVR but can be turned into a DVR. IMHO it's possible for them to compress the video more in DVR mode to squeeze more content onto the storage media.

Where are you located. And what ABC channel are you talking about? But, knowing E* they probally screwing with the bit rate in order to cram another channel on the same transponder. With that said, Starz appears to be their next victim.:rant:

Philadelphia. But like I said, the locals (when delivering full HD content like the news in the studio) were razor sharp before the activation of the EHD.

I just activated the EHD on my 211K and I'm not sure, but it looks like the overall quality (compression artifacts) both HD and SD with the EHD attached is reduced compared to 211K without the EHD attached. Is something anyone else noticed?

I have the 211 with the EHD activated and the Live programming as well as the recorded programs on the EHD are excellent, I have not noticed any change in PQ. I have only recorded in HD and am amazed at how great the recorded shows look.

I have the 211 with the EHD activated and the Live programming as well as the recorded programs on the EHD are excellent, I have not noticed any change in PQ. I have only recorded in HD and am amazed at how great the recorded shows look.

We've had the 211K since the 15th (just activated the EHD last night) and I spent a lot of time watching HD without the DVR/EHD feature enabled. I'm pretty sure the image quality is somewhat reduced. As I stated before, I'm going (try) to have Dish deactivate the feature and see what it looks like without it enabled (and obviously no EHD attached) and then have them reactivate it.

As I stated before, I'm going (try) to have Dish deactivate the feature and see what it looks like without it enabled (and obviously no EHD attached) and then have them reactivate it.

Sorry, but you are paddling up the wrong creek.

Sorry, but you are paddling up the wrong creek.

Why?

I read that I couldn't get the $40 EHD activation fee waived but I managed to get $15 off ($5/month credit for 3 month) so I don't see why they wouldn't try to help me with this.

I'm also having some audio sync issues that only appeared after getting the new hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)