reed sensor or magnet wheel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

badmotorscooter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Indy
So last night I was scanning the arc with my fortec mercury II with G-box and noticed my counts are off from what they were. I had noticed this with the coolsat over the past week but now its way off. Is it odd to only go to like -480 on the east to 200 on the west? This tells me my arm isn't adjusted far enough inward to go west, though the clamp is like 1/2" from the end. I can hit 55.5w but can't seem to go past 103w. From the searches I have done here I see others having counts FAR higher than what I am getting. My actuator is a Superjack II HQ+. The sensor board is a triangle with the reed looks like a tiny piece of glass made into the board. The mag wheel is smaller than a quarter and looks like one piece of ceramic magnet. The reed sensor has two small wires that protude down past the triangle board. So does this mean it is counting in two places 180deg. apart? I guess my actual question is do my count numbers seem possible, and does anyone have a mouser or digi-key part number for a replacement reed sensor?

superjack actuator

the superjack actuator is a very good actuator, I suspect your position controller is going to the position that is programmed into memory but the actual position of your dish is not on satellite, this usually starts with moving the dish only a little at first to get back on satellite and then more adjustment to get it back as time goes on, I will list the problems that usually occur.
1: screws on the terminal strip rust causing no or intermittent problems
2: plastic nut located at the end of the tube (where the moving part comes out) wears out causing the moving part to slip on the worm gear, to check this: stand on the side of the dish with the actuator, push out on the side of the dish, the dish should be solid and not move
3: reid switch will give problems over time, but usually work or don't work
4: ceramic magnet usually gives no problem unless the glue dries out and the magnet drops of
5: there is an up limit switch and a down limit switch, hardly ever give problems but can get out of adjustment
I would look for the plastic nut to be the problem, that usually means replacing the arm, also, check for a grease fitting on the arm just ahead of the motor, apply grease as needed. hope this helps

The reed switch could be sticking that's the problem I had with an actuator. You can actually use just about any reed switch, even the door type switch from a burglar alarm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)