Refresh long-term idle HWS

DishGXY

Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Northeastern Colorado
So I have multiple HWS and one of them was left unplugged for several weeks. The other HWS are still receiving signal from above, but the idled one won't respond to "Acquiring Signal" : message 535". No loading green bar for hours. To troubleshoot, I swapped out a "active" HWS in its place and it successfully went through the process acquiring live TV signal.

Its been years (think VIP recievers), but in a similar circumstance I remember a process where DISH sends a "refresh" signal to the receivers on my account. Many years earlier, I remember you could get a "refresh" signal action button on the DISH website for your account. Have not been able to find it again lately.

So I called DISH's number and got a CSR who was obviously reading from a script who was convinced that I was trying to hook up HWS to a JOEY location in a bedroom.?? Led to the CSR booking an appointment for a Technician visit two days from now. $$$ Because it was the weekend, I figured it was a lost cause on that phone call. So, before Monday, I am asking this group if they might have an answer to my question.

Go into MyDish.com and login. Then go to Dish Outdoors and press wake up receivers. That should wake up your HWS.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 5.52.49 PM.png

Then let the technician show up, tell them what the dumb a_sed script reading CSR insisted that they do and while they are there, they can check your alignment and signal levels.

Their report back that it was an unnecessary dispatch will do more good than any of your complaining over the phone because the dispatch will cost them $$$. They don't like to pay $$$.

but the idled one won't respond to "Acquiring Signal" : message 535". No loading green bar for hours.
Whenever I get that "Acquiring Signal 535" stuck with no progress after rebooting (or sometimes simply turning on) a receiver, here is how I solve it:

Press the Home button three times (or the Menu button twice, depending on your remote control model).
Go down to the Dish section (option number 3).
Go to Test Installation (option number 5).
Let the Test complete.

You should then see all of your satellites and tuners listed with green check marks, and a green signal strength bar on the lower part of the screen. Back all the way out of the Menu, and the Acquiring Signal 535 should actually work this time.

You must make sure that your receiver actually has a satellite signal and is receiving live TV (even if it is only authorized for the Hopper Insider channel) before going to the website to wake up your receiver. With no satellite signal acquired, the refresh signal will not do any good.

Reactions: ekilgus and Rainy99
Update: Did some page by page digging on MyDish.com in desperation. Found a big red "Wake Up Receivers" button at the very bottom of the My Account>My Equipment page. Took multiple tries but when I walked back in the room and the program guide was in the process of downloading, probably woke the neighborhood up! Cancelled tech appointment online.

Update: Did some page by page digging on MyDish.com in desperation. Found a big red "Wake Up Receivers" button at the very bottom of the My Account>My Equipment page. Took multiple tries but when I walked back in the room and the program guide was in the process of downloading, probably woke the neighborhood up! Cancelled tech appointment online.
Isn't that what Bobby posted under your first post?:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)