Refs Blow Yet Another Call

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't understand in any way, shape, or fashion how the Refs could have blown the call at the end of the Steelers games yesterday, taking away the fumble recovery and TD that would have made the score 17-0 and then had them kick to try and make it 18-0.

They even reviewed the play and CHANGED the call on the field, and that is why I smell something is wrong. It was NOT EVEN CLOSE to an illegal forward pass (the reason given for overturning the field call).

If you took the Steelers yesterday, you gave 5 points and lost - if you have Troy Polamalu on your fantasy team you should have gotten a defensive score, and so on.

Can someone please explain how they managed to get this call so wrong.

This has been a real bad year for some of those Refs.

I don't believe a flag was thrown by an official for the "illegal pass". I am shocked that the replay official can in essence, call a penalty on the field. I thought the job of the replay official was to potentially correct blown calls made by officials (IB or OB, catch or no catch, etc.)

The call on the field was for a Steeler touchdown and the officals were supposedly calling for the players for the extra point attempt :confused: If the Steeler TD was allowed, you wouldn't need to attempt the try.... poor job by all officials in this game.

What about the disparity in penalties called?? 13 against the Steelers, only 2 for the Chargers??

I don't understand in any way, shape, or fashion how the Refs could have blown the call at the end of the Steelers games yesterday, taking away the fumble recovery and TD that would have made the score 17-0 and then had them kick to try and make it 18-0.

They even reviewed the play and CHANGED the call on the field, and that is why I smell something is wrong. It was NOT EVEN CLOSE to an illegal forward pass (the reason given for overturning the field call).

If you took the Steelers yesterday, you gave 5 points and lost - if you have Troy Polamalu on your fantasy team you should have gotten a defensive score, and so on.

Can someone please explain how they managed to get this call so wrong.

This has been a real bad year for some of those Refs.

Fantasy?? How about the BETTING LINE. This called back touchdown resulted in legal book realizing a 64 million dollar bonanza. Add in the illegal book and who knows how many people are pulling their hair out.:rolleyes:

It sure is. Just saying, it's a pet peeve of mine when another thread is opened when the same topic is already being discussed. Just a courteous thing I guess.

You shouldn't take this 'personal'. I for one prefer to have a thread about a particular topic sometimes than posting in a 'generic' thread, and getting mixed in with all kinds of conversations.

If it is such a 'pet peeve' than I would say don't read it, and don't post in it (just as I choose NOT to post in the 'NFL' thread, without comment). This forum is here for ALL members, that is where I believe that courtesy is involved.
Thanks in advance.

Fantasy?? How about the BETTING LINE. This called back touchdown resulted in legal book realizing a 64 million dollar bonanza. Add in the illegal book and who knows how many people are pulling their hair out.:rolleyes:

Re-read my post, I mentioned the 5 point spead. :)

It sure is. Just saying, it's a pet peeve of mine when another thread is opened when the same topic is already being discussed. Just a courteous thing I guess.

In all fairness, everyone doesn't read the stickies, I don't read them all unless I know I have a post there. But If I didn't have a post, I probably wouldn't read them unless I'm bored.

Using that thinking this forum would probably be left with only the sticky threads, one for each sport. Now, if another titled thread about this already existed, that's another story....

How so? This is a specific topic. I linked it to a discussion already taking place. No biggie.
That sticky thread seems to serve a purpose for NFL discussions that don't warrant their own thread. Looking at some of the most recent posts there I see many members discussing the merits of their favorite teams and busting balls of other teams as well as references to the Tampa Bay Rays. :confused:

I happen to believe that the inability of the on and off-field officials to get the calls right and communicate them to us is a worthy topic for it's own thread.

Again - we know that the Ref said he made the wrong call yesterday, and the NFL has admitted also to the frequent miscues this year. Correct me if I am wrong though - have ANY OF the other miscues included overturning a call on the field?

First, since it mattered nothing to the outcome of the game, why would the Ref even call for a booth review on the field call of TD by Polamalu? The game outcome wouldn't change would it? The only thing that would have changed (and did change) was the final score.

However, having a review allowed the Ref to influence the score and keep it a 1 point game as the final. Why would a Ref get involved in this? There was no flag thrown on the field for an illegal forward pass, the points were put up on the scoreboard, weren't they? This smells real fishy if you ask me.

If the replay rule allows for a Ref to call a penalty (when one is not called on the actual play), I think they should replay the 2003 playoff game between the Giants and the 49ers where they didn't call pass interference on the 49ers on the final play of the game when they had the botched snap.

IIRC, they said that it was non-reviewable for a missed call, and in that case after the game they admitted that they should have called pass interference. So, in a game when they did miss a call they didn't make it, and yesterday in a game where they got the field call correct, they overturned it on an imaginery penalty call. And to further top that, one cost a team a chance to win a playoff game (and wasn't reviewed), the other only mattered to the spread (and was changed).

Interesting.

USATODAY.com - NFL: Officials missed pass interference call in Giants-49ers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)