Refund on Pre-Paid Annual Subscription if Cancelled?

wjarrettc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Will DISH Network refund a pro-rated amount of an annual payment if the subscription is cancelled before the year is up?

Thx.

Knowing Dish, it wll depend on the CSR you get or call back to get, or call back again to get. etc etc etc.
Honestly I don't know, I don't remember how they do the pre-pay, if it is 11 months paid, 12th month free or discounted price per month? If discounter per month, I would suspect they would want the difference in full pice to discounted price for months used.

SatinKzo said:
Knowing Dish, it wll depend on the CSR you get or call back to get, or call back again to get. etc etc etc.
Honestly I don't know, I don't remember how they do the pre-pay, if it is 11 months paid, 12th month free or discounted price per month? If discounter per month, I would suspect they would want the difference in full pice to discounted price for months used.

I've got no problem with them taking the full amount for each month already used but would like to ge the balance back for any unused monies.

Normally they will just give you a credit but if you're cancelling your account they would have send a cash refund unless you are under a contract or commitment plan. I believe it would be
(((Annual amount/12) X remaining months) - $5)=refund

Isn't part of the idea with doing such a plan that it is non-refundable? Most things like that you either go month-to-month, or you buy for a long time.

Brad

BFG said:
They are not entitled to offer any refunds on annual programming.

I think you meant that they are not "obligated" (compeled or required) to give refunds. They are entitled to give refunds.

I believe I remember reading something that says annual programming is not refundable in the FAQ section under Annual Charges but that section is now blank.

Yup, I meant that word.

entitled is what the guy wants coming from the receiving end ;)

BTW who doesn't know how to spell receiver? That's an easy one. :D

I don' know why Scott bothers to offer us a spell check, it seems some people will do it for us just to be annoying.

BTW, what part of pre-pay don't you understand ?

Now let us see just how many of you take this personal.

ken said:

Doesn't everyone pre-pay for their service, even if you're month-to-month. For example, you're billed on June 10th for the TV service you are planning to watch June 11th - July 10th.

When I quit DISH, I'm pretty sure they refunded me a pro-rated amount for the remainder of the month that I had pre-paid for.

ken said:
I don' know why Scott bothers to offer us a spell check, it seems some people will do it for us just to be annoying.

Now let us see just how many of you take this personal.

I didn't take it personally, but I do see how you are talking bad about my mother! :)

Well, I tried to get a link to it, but could not get the link to bring up the right page. Anyways from the internet archive pages on Dishnetwork from a year ago, it doesn't mention anything about refunds of pre-pay on the annual subscription, only pro-rating monthly service. But then again, it doesn't say they won't refund you either.

Look them up archive.org or any of the sites that cache the old pages of the www.

BTW, IMHO Dish had some horrendous site designs in the not too distant past. :no

SatinKzo said:
I didn't take it personally, but I do see how you are talking bad about my mother! :)

Well, I tried to get a link to it, but could not get the link to bring up the right page. Anyways from the internet archive pages on Dishnetwork from a year ago, it doesn't mention anything about refunds of pre-pay on the annual subscription, only pro-rating monthly service. But then again, it doesn't say they won't refund you either.

Look them up archive.org or any of the sites that cache the old pages of the www.

BTW, IMHO Dish had some horrendous site designs in the not too distant past. :no

I just found a page from 2002 that says the following:

"For annual or other multi-month subscriptions, the cancellation will be effective as of the date the multi-month subscription expires. Because you are receiving a discounted price in exchange for your agreement to pay for your services on an annual or other multi-month basis, in the event you cancel the Services prior to expiration of your multi-month subscription, you understand and agree that you are not entitled to any refund or credit for the unused portions of the multi-month subscription and that we have the right to retain any prepaid monies as liquidated damages."

Viewable here. Not sure if it that remains the policy or not.

I just remembered the source for most questions regarding DISH policies: the Residential Agreement! It has the answer.

From Section 3E: "For annual or other multi-month subscriptions, the cancellation will be effective as of the date the multi-month subscription expires. Because you are receiving a discounted price in exchange for your agreement to pay for your services on an annual or other multi-month basis, in the event you cancel the Services prior to expiration of your multi-month subscription, you understand and agree that you are not entitled to any refund or credit for the unused portions of the multi-month subscription and that we have the right to retain any prepaid monies as liquidated damages."

Ever heard the phrase...You don't ask...you don't get...? The worst you could get is a NO. But you may get a YES. Sure wouldn't hurt to ask...especially with a good reason for your request.

dc

Dogcliff said:
Ever heard the phrase...You don't ask...you don't get...? The worst you could get is a NO. But you may get a YES. Sure wouldn't hurt to ask...especially with a good reason for your request.

dc

Considering the reason is my mom wants to switch to DirecTV because it is $10 a month cheaper with her BellSouth phone service, I'm guessing the answer will be a resounding HELL NO. :)

wjarrettc said:
Considering the reason is my mom wants to switch to DirecTV because it is $10 a month cheaper with her BellSouth phone service, I'm guessing the answer will be a resounding HELL NO. :)

Oh come on. You don't tell them that. For all they know, your mother fell in a well, was eaten by bears, or her eyes fell out and she can't see the TV anymore. :D Kidding aside, I'd at least ask. I wouldn't lie but you certainly don't have to tell them the whole story.

I upgraded to the Voom tier so that voided my pre-paid HD for the remainder of the year. So instead of $115 this month, I only had to pay $45.00.

They gave me credit for the rest of my HD and put it on this bill.

Next month I will be back to $115.00 unless I can hand out 23 gift cards this month.. LOL :D

I do know that if you remain a customer and are just switching your programming around (including downgrading) they will give you a pro-ratd refund.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts