Refurb HR10-250

Status
Please reply by conversation.

freddog

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2005
Just got a refurb HR10-250 in the mail today to replace my defective one. Any concerns I should have with this "new" refurbished unit? Thanks, kinda new to this trade in program for defective receivers.

question, did you want a new one??

you have a car right? it gets totaled, the insurance company gets you one of "like kind and value" correct??

why do you think directv or dish for that matter owes you a NEW unit?

just curious.

OK first off I never said they "owed" me a new one, all I was asking was did anyone have any experience with one and is it something that I should be concerned about for future problems. Read the damn post before you go off spouting at the mouth.

Thats the thing I don't know, never had one and was just wondering about others experiences. Nothing but just looking for information from others in this forum about it. I have always had new receivers and this is my first refurbished one. Just was curious, but no problems to talk of so far.

freddog said:
Thats the thing I don't know, never had one and was just wondering about others experiences. Nothing but just looking for information from others in this forum about it. I have always had new receivers and this is my first refurbished one. Just was curious, but no problems to talk of so far.

I have never had a D* refurb (that I know of), but in the PC industry, refurbs from reputable companies are usually as good or better than brand new ones (to an extent) reliability-wise, because of burn-in, generally if a machine lasts X amount of days without failing, it should last a reasonable amount of time (sans the component that got it to be a refurb to begin with), as defective components usually show up within the first 1 week or so, also, most refurbs offer the same warranty as a new one, and if a particular unit needs an update, usually they will hit the refurb with the latest firmwares (like in refurb PCs they might update the BIOS).

How much that applies to D* and their STBs, ask a CSR or maybe someone here could elucidate, but generally electronics are tested using burn-ins, so I'd imagine the STBs have had a step in their post-manufacturing testing at some point, that does burn-in tests, like they do with PCs.

So to summarize, if D* replaired and tested the unit properly, odds are it's fine being a refurb.

Last edited:
thanks all for your replies. It seems to be working well and yes it does come with the 1 yr warranty and it did already have the lastest firmware installed (one of the first things I checked). Good to know that their will likely be nothing to be concerned with. Thanks again from a realatively non-technical person.

freddog said:
thanks all for your replies. It seems to be working well and yes it does come with the 1 yr warranty and it did already have the lastest firmware installed (one of the first things I checked). Good to know that their will likely be nothing to be concerned with. Thanks again from a realatively non-technical person.

np, anytime.

90% of the Time a Refurb unit is better than the new unit. Because it's gone thru with a finetooth comb and They repair not just the problem but any other known issues. So you get a better unit in the long run, I have a few refurb electronics componets and have never had a problem.

raymo721 said:
Fred, I was wondering how the speed of your refurbished unit compares to your old one??---Ray

No better, the guide and everything else is just as slow as my original one. I was kinda hoping it would be faster, but other than that I have no complaints. The unit as a whole is functioning great and I have no problems pulling my locals in OTA. It came with the lastest software so I didn't have to download that. Hope that answers your question.

Yeah, thanks. I was just wondering if it came with the 6.2 upgrade, but it doesn't seem so. Your guide would be faster and response time selecting recordings, etc. would be faster also. Tks---Ray

raymo721 said:
Yeah, thanks. I was just wondering if it came with the 6.2 upgrade, but it doesn't seem so. Your guide would be faster and response time selecting recordings, etc. would be faster also. Tks---Ray
6.2 isn't available for the 10-250. It seems it will forever be stuck at 3 whatever.

A friend and I have been going through refurb hell. Both of our 10-250s died within the same month. (both about 9 months old). It started stuttering/freezing/rebooting/being unresponsive etc. The tech support verified a hard drive issue. We both got refurbs sent.

His first refurb had the same reboot problem.

My first refurb had a dead Tuner #2. How does that get through testing?

Good times.

Both of our second refurbs are in route.

As someone suggested in this thread, I'm kind of disgusted that I am not being sent a new one. I paid a lot of money for this HD DVR and it's only 9 months old. I am a long-time customer who spends way too much money on DirecTV and its packages to be treated so poorly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts