?? regarding HD DVR audio output

Status
Please reply by conversation.

martincva

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
I just had an HR-20 installed. I have an HDMI connection to my TV, and the installer recommended that I use it. The thing is, I used to connect via optical from my old SD-TiVO to a sound system. I don't really want to use the TV's built in speakers. The TV does not have a digital/optical output. I could connect a digital cable to my sound system, and then just mute the TV, but it puts a "mute" note on the TV. I have not found a way to mute the audio from within the HD DVR.

It seems as though I need to dump the HDMI, connect via component, and then use the digital output from the HD DVR to my audio system.

Am I missing something? How do most of you connect? What is point of HDMI? Don't most people that have a high-end system also have a sound system?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Component to HD projector and optical to A/V head unit; just like you want to do. No discernible video difference and MUCH better sound reproduction.

i use hdmi to the tv mitsubishi wd65831 and optical to receiver denon 5800, the tv has an option in the menu to turn off tv speaker, if you dont have that option, you could always just turn the tv volume all the way down if you feel the need to say with hdmi

i use hdmi to the tv mitsubishi wd65831 and optical to receiver denon 5800, the tv has an option in the menu to turn off tv speaker, if you dont have that option, you could always just turn the tv volume all the way down if you feel the need to say with hdmi

Agreed. I actually use my TV's speakers most of the time (most TV watching is when the kids are asleep...), but when I'm watching something I want to use the surround for, I just turn down the TV...

I'm running HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver.

Listen to HDhysteria and turn the sound all the way down on the TV. That's what I do and then turn it up when you want to listen to the TV speakers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts