Regional Coding for HD DVD!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
As you may know, currently there are no Regional Codes on HD DVDs. This may change, however. According to dvd-recordable.org, following the policy for the rival Blu-ray Disc format, the DVD Forum is actively considering developing specifications and an enforcement plan to include RPC (Regional Playback Control) on HD DVD-Video titles.

RPC, Regional Playback Control, is a system utilized by DVD manufacturers to limit the use of DVD's to limited geographic regions. RPC is implemented on most commercial DVD's and most DVD players.

The decision is part of the 34th Steering Committee Meeting of the DVD Forum, held on May 24 in Seattle, U.S.. The organization approved the establishment of a "HD DVD RPC Ad hoc group" to work with appropriate Working Groups to develop a specification and enforcement plan for RPC on HD DVD-Video, including region map and requirements in consultation with the studios.

Am I correct in assuming that the current region free aspect applies only to HD DVD titles for playback? For example, if I insert a region-2 SD DVD into an HD-A1 purchased in the US, will it play? I have a few titles (Man from Uncle and MST3000) coded for region-2 that I can play in my OPPO. That's about the only reason I might have not to sell my OPPO on Ebay once the A1 arrives (waiting on shipment).

----
Never mind. I just went to the user's manual on the ValueElectronic's site and see that it refers to region-1 or region-0 only. I would just delete this post but will leave it in case someone else has the same question.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts