Status
Please reply by conversation.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
I am in the St Louis DMA and pay $4.53/mo but STL has no basketball team nor a football team (RAMS went to northern Mexico). So how does DTV calculate the regional sports fee? All we have is a hockey team. What am I exactly getting for this fee?

I am in the St Louis DMA and pay $4.53/mo but STL has no basketball team nor a football team (RAMS went to northern Mexico). So how does DTV calculate the regional sports fee? All we have is a hockey team. What am I exactly getting for this fee?
I don't know the exact formula, but it's based on how many and which rsns you get.

I'm across the state in KC. My regional sports fee is the same as yours.
It appears that you have one football team and a baseball team and STL has one hockey team and a baseball team. So If you are in the LA DMA with 2 football teams, 2 baseball teams, 2 basketball teams, 2 hockey teams, and a pro soccer team, then accordingly LA is charged over 4 times as much as we are??

I am in the Toledo, Ohio market and we get charges $7.+ ....
We have NO Pro teams in town ...
However, all of Ohio and Detroit are included in my area ... were talking Pro teams ...
Football we have Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Cincy Bengals ... No Pro Teams there ....
Baseball, Tigers, Indians and Reds ... Indians play pro ball some times and once in a while the Tigers do, don't follow the Reds anymore , between the Tigers and Indians we might get 1 Pro team.

You can drop the regional sports charge by switching to the Preferred extra package, same channels without the regional teams. I get all the sports I want on my local channels.

You can drop the regional sports charge by switching to the Preferred extra package, same channels without the regional teams. I get all the sports I want on my local channels.
Same channels as what? All packages have a different lineup.

Reactions: Jimbo and Tampa8
The preferred xtra package has the same channels as the xtra package and you do not have to pay the regional sports fee. There might be one or two channels different but I haven't noticed anything missing when I switched.

The preferred xtra package has the same channels as the xtra package and you do not have to pay the regional sports fee. There might be one or two channels different but I haven't noticed anything missing when I switched.

Actually, preferred xtra is missing a lot of sports channels. I think the only ones they have is ESPN 1&2, and Fox Sports 1. They do add a few of the Ultimate channels as well, though.

That's why you don't pay the sports fee, if you want all the sports then you don't want the preferred xtra package. I don't watch much sports and I didn't want to pay the fee.

When I logged into my Directv account and looked at the recent transactions, I noticed that Fox Sports Ohio was added to my Select package subscription on May 13, and Big Ten Network was added on June 3. Both of these channels showed up as $0.00 line-items in the recent transactions (but not on the actual bill) and I am not being charged a regional sports fee on the bill that was just issued this week. Is anyone else with the Select package seeing anything like this? Does anyone know what is going on? Is this a limited-time free preview or what? I don't mind the channels being added at no cost, but I don't want to end up with a regional sports fee getting added to a package that originally did not include any regional sports channels.

I looked online at the Directv site, if I had Directv It says I would not have my RSN's in either Florida or Connecticut with the Select or Entertainment packages.

St. Louis has, of course, the MLB Cardinals and NHL Blues. The NFL has nothing to do with the discussion, as it is not on RSNs in the first place.

Reactions: pattykay
Exactly. The RSN fee is just a way to adjust the price depending on the different rates RSNs charge in different places. You pay it on cable too, you just don't see it because it is not a national price.

If you think it is too high, remember that the next time a strike or so-called lockout happens. The owners are the good guys.

How else should Directv account for the different regional costs that the rsns incur?
Hey, there never was a charge for it before, tell them to bite the bullet like they always have ... why does the sub always get screwed on this type of thing.
I went from 0.00 to $7 +../..

Reactions: pattykay
I looked online at the Directv site, if I had Directv It says I would not have my RSN's in either Florida or Connecticut with the Select or Entertainment packages.
I don't see the channels in the package listings for Select, either. Like I said, each channel showed up as a separate listing in the recent transactions, and this was a fairly recent change. This was not the first time this year that something like this has happened, either. I mostly use Directv to supplement my Dish Flex Pack subscription, and this year, Directv has added more channels to my subscription that are not available with Flex Pack, such as NFL Network and the lesser-watched ESPN channels. (ESPNEWS and ESPNU) Each of these channels showed up under the recent transactions as a $0.00 line-item, and I have not lost any of them since they were added. I suppose this could be some kind of "customer appreciation package" that not every subscriber gets, though.

Reactions: Tampa8
When I logged into my Directv account and looked at the recent transactions, I noticed that Fox Sports Ohio was added to my Select package subscription on May 13, and Big Ten Network was added on June 3. Both of these channels showed up as $0.00 line-items in the recent transactions (but not on the actual bill) and I am not being charged a regional sports fee on the bill that was just issued this week. Is anyone else with the Select package seeing anything like this? Does anyone know what is going on? Is this a limited-time free preview or what? I don't mind the channels being added at no cost, but I don't want to end up with a regional sports fee getting added to a package that originally did not include any regional sports channels.
Update: I just logged into my Directv account, and I noticed in the recent transactions that Sports Time Ohio (the one local RSN I had been missing) was added to my account as a $0.00 line-item on August 6. This is so weird, that Directv is gradually adding RSNs to my account at no additional cost with the Select package. Has this happened to anyone else?

Reactions: Tampa8
I don't want to jump in and confuse the situation but here's my experience.

I initially signed up for XTRA but then on the day of install downgraded to Preferred XTRA for the lower cost knowing that I wouldn't have my RSN or NBA-TV or other sports channels. I was told I could move back to regular XTRA at any time and not lose any of my discounts that are included in my 2 year contract. I just confirmed by chat with an agent that it would cost me $2 more for XTRA package + $7.29 RSN fee to upgrade in October when the NBA season starts. BTW I'm in Sacramento so my RSN gets SF bay area Giants, Sharks, 49ers and Sacramento Kings basketball (not Warriors too).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts