Regional Sports Networks and YES Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fresco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2004
So DISH Network delivers Altitude Sports and Entertainment, the Denver-based channel; they are also negotiating with other RSNS (Sacramento-based RSN and Comcast Sports Net Chicago). Hmm aren't these RSNs going to increase our rates? I mean wasn't that the whole issue in why YES isn't on Dish Network? So this means I (who live in the NY area) who has Dish Network and no YES network will have my rate increased because of those RSNs that I will not be able to see??? If Dish Network some how gets a deal done with those RSNs mentioned above then I can't see why they can't get a deal done with YES network.

If Dish Network manages to get a deal done with those other RSNs mentioned above without getting a deal done with YES…I will have no problem canceling my subscription to there satellite system and switching to Direct TV or cablevision. I am not going to waste anymore of my time waiting for Dish to get YES; especially while he continues add other RSNs with no problem. Now I see the truth, Charlie has been lying to us all this time. I am sure that I am not the only one that feels this way.

I saw so many negative posts against the YES network but none for these new RSNs?? Maybe it’s because these RSNs stations are not in NY and those negative posts against YES network is more of anti NY posts....Where is the fairness and equality?

I wish I didn't have to pay for any sports to be honest. There is so much out there for free on the networks and ESPN. Who needs any more?

They all look like repeats to me!

yes Dish Backer
YES yanted EVRYONE to pay for them to have carriage, whereas the other RSN's are part of the multisports pack. You can pay for it if you want

So the real message for Yankees fans is: Tell YES to get off their high horse if they want NY fans to get the product. The rest of the world doesn't give a hoot about the Yankees.

mdonnelly said:
So the real message for Yankees fans is: Tell YES to get off their high horse if they want NY fans to get the product. The rest of the world doesn't give a hoot about the Yankees.

DAMN RIGHT!!! :)

Iceberg said:
yes Dish Backer
YES yanted EVRYONE to pay for them to have carriage, whereas the other RSN's are part of the multisports pack. You can pay for it if you want
Bullsh*t. What YES Network wanted was to be treated like the other NYC RSNs, which is to be included with AT60+. Dish offerred to carry them on AT180 only, which YES refused. Dish offerred to carry them a-la-carte, which YES refused. YES wanted $2.00 - $2.20/month and wanted to be carried in the same packages as FSNY and MSG, and so far Dish has refused to do this. As a result, no deal yet and no YES Network on Dish.

Since a majority of the programming is blacked out outside of NYC and area, YES would *never* be added for all subs nationwide (except for those who pay for Multi Sport). Subs outside of NYC would not have to pay for YES (except indirectly, as the high cost of YES and other new RSNs could be used as the excuse for the next round of price increases).

fresco said:
Hmm aren't these RSNs going to increase our rates?
No. Rates are set to maximize profits and reflect market competition much more than they reflect cost of ingredients.

In general, new channels are added or not added based on the idea whether their presence would make Dish more money. If a new channel would bring in enough new subscribers to offset its cost, then they add it.*

In the case of YES, every potential sub in the NY area who would base his buying decision on that channel has already chosen DirecTV or cable. A few might come back to Dish, but not enough to offset the sizable cost of adding YES.

*Exceptions: Programming bundles that include vital channels may force Dish to add unprofitable channels (see Viacom). Hometown channels that can add other benefits (rooftop ad, event tickets) may get special treatment. ;)

carload said:
Hometown channels that can add other benefits (rooftop ad, event tickets) may get special treatment. ;)
I wonder if I will ever be able to score some tickets for Charlie's luxury box at an Avalache or Nuggets game? :no

mdonnelly said:

:clap

mdonnelly said:
I care about the yankees, when they lose :neener

There are more people that care about the Yankees than all of your teams combined. Besides, even people that hate Yankees watch the games to root against them.

I agree though that if people do not want to watch Yankees, they should not pay. YES should be on E* but should be treated the same as FSNY and MSG and not as a premium channel.

DWS44 said:
Maybe they will have to drop the pricetag for YES since the great choke against Boston! :haha

j/k

Well, if they choked that means Red Sox do not deserve any credit.

jrbdmb said:
Bullsh*t. What YES Network wanted was to be treated like the other NYC RSNs, which is to be included with AT60+. Dish offerred to carry them on AT180 only, which YES refused. Dish offerred to carry them a-la-carte, which YES refused. YES wanted $2.00 - $2.20/month and wanted to be carried in the same packages as FSNY and MSG, and so far Dish has refused to do this. As a result, no deal yet and no YES Network on Dish.

Since a majority of the programming is blacked out outside of NYC and area, YES would *never* be added for all subs nationwide (except for those who pay for Multi Sport). Subs outside of NYC would not have to pay for YES (except indirectly, as the high cost of YES and other new RSNs could be used as the excuse for the next round of price increases).

BS yourself on this one...Yes originally wanted $2+ (now $1.80 or whatever the other carriers are paying) for EVERY subscriber not just the ones in NY territory. This was so that E could include Yes in the multi-sports package which has even less value than the Fox rsn's oom offerings. At least the Fox rsn's come from a nationwide base so their ms offerings allow displaced fans to see their college teams. E's offer to Yes was to make the channel ala carte with Yes getting ALL the subscription revenue.

The deal with Altitude does not cost near as much plus the cash price was reduced even more with some cross marketing agreements included.
As for the other new rsn's, negotiations does not mean carriage. It means just that, negotiating. If they want an outrageous amount like Yes then they will not be on E. If they are reasonable then they will be on.

If you feel you have to have Yes, then call d. Because Charlie is not going to add Yes until George gets reasonable. Charlie may have lost some customers but it is going to take a whole of them before it cuts into the approximately $15-20 million a month in cost savings for not carrying it.

WTGuy, you are completely wrong. YES wanted at least $2 per subscriber in the New York market and wanted the channel to be carried on the same terms as the other metro NY RSNs. The reason Echostar choked on carrying YES is because Echostar is already paying for 2 RSNs in the New York area. Picking up a third could be a bit expensive.

Just so you think I am not BSing you, think about this: if YES was added to the Sports Pack, would every subscriber get to see the Yankees' games? No way. Therefore, there is no reason to believe YES would charge $2 per subscriber for those receiving the channel Manhattan or in Los Angeles. Manhattan residents are authorized for all programming on YES, while those in the City of Angels are not able to see any pro sports or Yankees' programming.

It does raise a point, though. I'm sure that each OOM RSN in the Sports Pack must get something for providing its non-blacked-out programming. It couldn't be the full fee, but I wonder how much it is.

Hint: If you add up all the OOM RSN programming fees, the number will have to be significantly less than the cost of the Sports Pack. ;)

Greg Bimson said:
WTGuy, you are completely wrong. YES wanted at least $2 per subscriber in the New York market and wanted the channel to be carried on the same terms as the other metro NY RSNs. The reason Echostar choked on carrying YES is because Echostar is already paying for 2 RSNs in the New York area. Picking up a third could be a bit expensive.

Just so you think I am not BSing you, think about this: if YES was added to the Sports Pack, would every subscriber get to see the Yankees' games? No way. Therefore, there is no reason to believe YES would charge $2 per subscriber for those receiving the channel Manhattan or in Los Angeles. Manhattan residents are authorized for all programming on YES, while those in the City of Angels are not able to see any pro sports or Yankees' programming.

Unless your name is George. It was well reported back when the negotiations were going on that this was Yes's demand, $2/subscriber. Apparantly you do not realize that the multi sports pack requires all pro sports to be blacked-out outside each team's respective territory. Even some select college games have to be blacked out. That is exactly why E having to pay $2 for each subscriber outside of the NY territory for a channel with fewer college events than the Fox rsn's is a total waste of money. Charlie may have lost some subscribers in the NY area but it would have to be a whole lot before the profit off those people would exceed the $15-20 million Charlies saves by not showing it.

The problem is George has nothing else to offer. When E finally added FSN-W2 it was part of the negotiations for the Fox o&o ota stations. But the negotiations for it were a compromise where E gets it at a lower rate but is only allowed to show the channel in the LA dma and is not included in the multi sports pack.

(By the way there is no issue of 3 rsn's since there are some zips in NE that get FSN-NY, MSG and NESN in the AT-60+ package and higher.)

WTGuy said:
It was well reported back when the negotiations were going on that this was Yes's demand, $2/subscriber.
Just so you realize how ridiculous you may be sounding, how much is Comcast in Los Angeles paying YES, even though they don't carry the channel?

Nothing, since they don't carry the channel. It is only the Comcast systems within the Yankees viewing area that are paying for YES. Because I can guarantee you that every Comcast system doesn't pay $2 per subscriber for YES nationwide, when the channel isn't even being shown on 90 percent of their cable systems.

What makes you or anyone else think that YES would charge DirecTV or Dish Network $2 per subscriber nationwide? That would be the dumbest move in history!

No offense, but please find me a "credible" link, and then I'll believe you. Otherwise, looking at the above sentence I quoted from you, I'd still say that $2 per subscriber is for in-market viewers only.

Greg Bimson said:
What makes you or anyone else think that YES would charge DirecTV or Dish Network $2 per subscriber nationwide? That would be the dumbest move in history!
If Dish was dumb enough to pay it (without passing on the cost to it's customers), that would be the smartest move in history. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)