Regional Sports Networks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markprior22

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
central illinois
Thinking of switching to Direct TV from Comcast. Here is one issue that makes me hesitant. On Comcast, we get Comcast Sports Net-Chicago and Fox Sports MW-St. Louis. We get Cubs baseball on CSN and Cardinal games on FSM.

I signed up for DISH a few years ago and, when speaking to the rep, he said "wow, you get 2 regional sports channels. That is very unusual, most only get one." So I asked him to verify that I would continue to get both Cub and Cardinal games. His answer was yes.

So, I get the dish installed and, while I do get the channels, when game time comes, the Cardinal game is blacked out. I called DISH and all they wanted to do was explain blackouts to me. I pretty much understand how blackouts work...figured if games weren't affected by blackout on cable, they shouldn't be on satellite either.

Anyway, due to a loophole in the contract, I was able to cancel my subscription and go back to cable. I'm in zip 62703 and the DTV page shows that I get both regional networks and it specifically lists Cubs and Cardinal games but I am at a "see it to believe it" point. I probably won't be able to switch back to cable this time if I'm not happy. Anyone in central Illinois have any experience with this situation? Would make me feel better :)

:welcome to Satelliteguys markprior22!

The website for Directv is occasionally wrong, so I wouldn't take it as gospel. It's likely correct though. Hopefully someone in your area will post on it soon. Are you THE Mark Prior? :)

looking at the MLB team coverage/blackout maps it looks like that area is covered by both teams.

Maybe dish did not pay the RSN to cover that "extended" area for pro teams. They do the same thing in Minnesota. In NE Minnesota its covered by the Twins and Brewers. Directv subs get both, Dish only gets the Twins games

So, I get the dish installed and, while I do get the channels, when game time comes, the Cardinal game is blacked out. I called DISH and all they wanted to do was explain blackouts to me. I pretty much understand how blackouts work...figured if games weren't affected by blackout on cable, they shouldn't be on satellite either.

Anyway, due to a loophole in the contract, I was able to cancel my subscription and go back to cable. I'm in zip 62703 and the DTV page shows that I get both regional networks and it specifically lists Cubs and Cardinal games but I am at a "see it to believe it" point. I probably won't be able to switch back to cable this time if I'm not happy. Anyone in central Illinois have any experience with this situation? Would make me feel better :)

The blackouts you were seeing on E* "a few years ago", were due to the fact that Fox Sports Midwest added about 20 additional Cardinal games to that particular season's lineup, AFTER the season had started. FSM also charged all providers for those added games; any providers that chose NOT to pay for them, (which E* did NOT, along with a couple other providers) were the reason for some of the games being blacked out.

This is NO longer the case with either E* or D*, as those contracts were renewed for ALL the games; you WILL see ALL of the same games as our local cable co. shows - for BOTH Cards & Cubs. However in the case of E*, because they do NOT offer full-time RSN's in HD, there ARE times where the HD feeds are blacked-out; the SD feeds are unaffected by this.

Put your service zip code in this link for exact details on what networks and what teams you will get without blackout, and if any additional subscription is needed (some areas require Xtra or Sports Pack for the longer distance additional teams).

http://www.directv.com/rsn

Most only get one? Very few people only get one. Look at California. I have 4 (with some part-time) in NC. I think mostly the plains states only get one RSN (FS North, FS Midwest, and FS Southwest (Texas) with some part-time channels, too. Most everyone else get at least two.

Most only get one? Very few people only get one. Look at California. I have 4 (with some part-time) in NC. I think mostly the plains states only get one RSN (FS North, FS Midwest, and FS Southwest (Texas) with some part-time channels, too. Most everyone else get at least two.

I am not far from your location.
There are 4 MLB teams that claim my zip code as part of their territories.
Braves, Nationals, Orioles and Reds.
I get every single game shown.
My "local" RSN's are Fox Sports South, Sports South, MASN and Fox Sports Cincinnati/Ohio.
I used to have a MLB TV market map stored as a favorite. It indicated that parts of Iowa were claimed by SIX MLB teams....So if one likes to watch baseball "Is this heaven?"...."No. It's Iowa"..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts