Regional Sports Update

There is almost no way the RSNs are coming back, Dish is making increased profits by getting rid of them without lowering prices and not that much loss of subscribers.

YTTV became profitable when then got rid of them, did not lower prices and they are gaining subs ( not many Live TV providers are gaining ) without the channels.

This is behind a paywall, but the part I wanted to share here with regards to Dish is the updated costs of the RSN's individually. Purely from a financial basis you can see why Dish dropped them. Here are some of the highest reported costs for an RSN for each individual subscriber:

BS Arizona: $8.38
BS Ohio: $7.84
BS Detroit: $7.76
YES: $7.20
BS Wisconsin: $7.15

Even BS Kansas City, which I believe only covers the Royals, is $5.82.

Dish starting dropping the RSN's in 2019, and looking back to 2014, which would have been the 2nd to last or the last group of long-term contracts Dish signed for the RSNs, only 7 RSN's total cost more than $3.50 per month.

Reactions: charlesrshell

This is behind a paywall, but the part I wanted to share here with regards to Dish is the updated costs of the RSN's individually. Purely from a financial basis you can see why Dish dropped them. Here are some of the highest reported costs for an RSN for each individual subscriber:

Dish starting dropping the RSN's in 2019, and looking back to 2014, which would have been the 2nd to last or the last group of long-term contracts Dish signed for the RSNs, only 7 RSN's total cost more than $3.50 per month.
A lot of money for channels that are not watched by many.

I just pointed out in another thread that the New York Yankees are averaging 400,000 on Yes, the metro area (all that can get Yes) of NYC is 20 million, those that still get paid Live TV is about 68% of the population, so we will say 13 million roughly get Yes, so 400,000 out of that 13 Million is only .031 of the population that still get paid Live TV.

Now, visions of what might be, and winning on almost a nightly basis, is enough to help fuel viewership numbers. YES’ average total viewership this season is up over 11% from 2021. And the network, in nine games this season, averaged over 400,000 total viewers through 50 games. It took the Yankees the entire 2021 season to record nine such 400,000 total-viewers-games on YES.

Reactions: charlesrshell
They can move all the RSN's to Apple, for all I care, and let them disappear into oblivion. When NBC shut down their sport net they moved British soccer to the USA network. Yeah, I'm sure there's a gigantic market in the US for British soccer. :sleepy

Long before that...they dropped all the RSNs in NYC...way before that

Article in our local paper today, talks about the soft start for Bally sports service available via linear. Our local Bally sports Detroit is part of the soft starts 19.99 a month, or 189 for the year

They can move all the RSN's to Apple, for all I care, and let them disappear into oblivion. When NBC shut down their sport net they moved British soccer to the USA network. Yeah, I'm sure there's a gigantic market in the US for British soccer. :sleepy
Well, not much of a market for the soccer in the US at all... but the EPL ("British soccer") would have the highest demand and Liga MX (Mexico) probably second.

Yeah, I'm sure there's a gigantic market in the US for British soccer. :sleepy

Gigantic? No. But NBC did re-up for the EPL for a couple of billion dollars. So the market must be there for NBC to shell out that kind of coin.

Reactions: Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)