Regretting Hopper, Maybe Going Back to 722k/211

They called me back yesterday. They didn't want to give me 2 hoppers and no joeys.......

2 Hoppers and 0 Joeys is what I'd like, also, if I don't move to FiOS and decide to move on from my two ViP722s. I'm hoping in a few months they'll allow that type of setup. After all, they're getting an extra hundred up front. And maybe stock will be plentiful by then.

navychop said:
2 Hoppers and 0 Joeys is what I'd like, also, if I don't move to FiOS and decide to move on from my two ViP722s. I'm hoping in a few months they'll allow that type of setup. After all, they're getting an extra hundred up front. And maybe stock will be plentiful by then.

Yea, I feel a little bad about being concerned about a somewhat frivolous life issue as tuners...you guys have probably heard on the news about the tragedy in charleston, wv ,of 6 children- 2 adults dying in a house fire. My son was there earlier that day. He is best friends with the brother that lost his sister and 3 children and also 2 nieces died also...we met his family 17 years ago. He went on vacation with us for the last 15 years. On this Saturday there will be 8 funerals at one time. When we first met him( my sons friend) , he was about 5 years old. He was able, but wouldn't hardly talk even to his family, much less anyone else, but when he was with us ,at the beach ,or at our home he would, we would joke around with us and we became attached to each other.He has such a good heart. He's 22 now, and he and his family have to go through something that none of us would ever even fathom. It's like a bad nightmare. Puts things into perspective. What's really important is family and friends.

I appreciate your reply , Chris

Glad it worked out to your satisfaction. :)

I still think it is crazy what Dish is doing with the "no more Hoppers than Joeys" rule. They are shooting themselves in the foot...with a bazooka. If you are going to create a three tuner box you better be smart enough to understand many homes need more than that and allow such configurations.

I think the real reason is that they only charge $7 for the hopper/month. They need a joey to get the $14. The joeys are the real profit center of the operation. Essentially the hopper at $7/month would take 5 years to pay off the base equipment. Joey probably around 6-9 months, then you are really supporting the matching hopper.

You can buy new Hoppers from DishDepot.com for $350 each, and then install whatever you want.

I think the real reason is that they only charge $7 for the hopper/month. They need a joey to get the $14. The joeys are the real profit center of the operation. Essentially the hopper at $7/month would take 5 years to pay off the base equipment. Joey probably around 6-9 months, then you are really supporting the matching hopper.

Hmmm. There's a certain ring to that. I wonder, a ring of ................

You can buy new Hoppers from DishDepot.com for $350 each, and then install whatever you want.

For once, I might see value in owning.

navychop said:
Hmmm. There's a certain ring to that. I wonder, a ring of ................

For once, I might see value in owning.

They gave me a choice to go back to same pricing as before the hopper / Joey--- they said I had a choice of 922's or 722's--- any input would be appreciated.

If the hopper interface is more to your liking, go with the 922s (but slower). If functionality and stability outweigh look and feel, go with the 722s.

I've got to recommend the ViP722, preferably the K version. The ViP922 is being phased out.

Two OTA modules if you want them. The ability to save timers to the remote, and reportedly a somewhat newer chipset.

Since we had the Hopper and one Joey installed, if the TV on the Hopper is turned off the Hopper turns off. Have had the Hopper and Joey replaced, node, and switch, still have the same problem. Living room TV turns off the hopper goes off. If TV is off for several hours during the day when the TV is turned back on the Hopper waits a minute or two before doing a cold reboot, then the LR1 Hopper is in standby mode, pressing select it may or may no have to connect to the satellite. Tech has been to third level of advanced tech support and still no idea of how to fix the problem. Tech coming back out for fourth time today. We are ready to go back the 722 and add the 612 that worked, but loose the upgrade fee, no refunds per dish ex.

Since we had the Hopper and one Joey installed, if the TV on the Hopper is turned off the Hopper turns off. Have had the Hopper and Joey replaced, node, and switch, still have the same problem. Living room TV turns off the hopper goes off. If TV is off for several hours during the day when the TV is turned back on the Hopper waits a minute or two before doing a cold reboot, then the LR1 Hopper is in standby mode, pressing select it may or may no have to connect to the satellite. Tech has been to third level of advanced tech support and still no idea of how to fix the problem. Tech coming back out for fourth time today. We are ready to go back the 722 and add the 612 that worked, but loose the upgrade fee, no refunds per dish ex.

Have you tried changing the TV that the Hopper is connected to? It sounds like the TV (or the remote) is sending a signal to the Hopper to turn off.

flighinhigh said:

Not much of a tech guy, but, ( and this may be too much trouble, and or not possible ) ,as a " home trouble shoot "--put the hopper on the other tv and switch Joey also. See if it still does it...it will rule out whether or not it's your living room tv doing this. then you can tell tech guy it's not your tv for sure

You're not, by mistake, on one of those power strips that turn off accessories when the main unit is powered down, are you? Alternately, is the IR turned off on your Hopper? A spurious "off" IR signal should not cause the Hopper to go off - just to standby, and in and out of standby should not cause a cold reboot.

You may have a TV that can "control" devices connected by HDMI. It is called different thing by different manufacturers.
First thing to check is the settings on the TV and turn off the setting.(you may need to look in manual to find the correct setting)
You could also try hooking up using component instead of HDMI

flighinhigh said:

If Dish can't make it work, I would fight to get the upgrade fee refunded and make sure you didn't re-up your commitment. You're not having buyer's remorse. The upgrade you paid for is not functioning properly. No way they should keep your money under those circumstances. Either they figure it out and fix it, or you should be refunded.

Even if the TV is sending a signal to turn off the Hopper, it shouldn't be killing the power completely. - It should be going to standby. Just as an experiment, I'd stick the Hopper on it's own power strip. Are you 100% sure you have it plugged into the same outlet that your old receiver was plugged into? No disrespect to the technicians that come out, but sometimes they aren't observant and just plug things in for the sake of plugging it in and making it work. They might not realize that you have a special "green" power strip. Especially if you have switched hoppers, that tells me it's not the hopper itself but something else in your setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)