Regular Viewing On A HDTV

FD611V

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
My "NEW" Samsung 40 inch #LN-40A550 with 1080p is set just as it came out of the carton. I've read on the AVS forum about calibrations numbers.

I don't have a Blu-Ray ...what ever it is called) hooked up, nor a DVD and VCR. I just have Dish Network with a VIP211 cabled to it. What would be the best settings for just watching...news, regular TV movies, etc?

Go back to the AVS forums for suggestions on your particular set/series. We really can't help you adjust your set. They all have their differences. There is nothing special or different about Dish receiver output.

Go back to the AVS forums for suggestions on your particular set/series. We really can't help you adjust your set. They all have their differences. There is nothing special or different about Dish receiver output.

KAB, those forum members at AVS have so many attachments hooked to their HDTV, it's a wonder if the TV works at all. I've read some 150 posts there on what each member feels in their best settings. From this, I get they just love to play with the units, and none really watch TV as most people do.

The reason I posted here, was to get some information what others may have with their setting using Dish Network receivers

Again, you are asking at the wrong place. Every person has their OWN opinion as to what make THEIR set look the best. You need to familiarize yourself with your set and it's controls, and make adjustments that satisfy YOUR eye. To start, you could get a calibration disk or make basic adjustments from a DVD that has THX setup, ie Star Wars movies or Pixar movies. Drop the notion that Dish receivers create any commonality amongst all the different sets out there.

Last edited:
Watch TV.. If picture is too bright, cut down the brightness. If blacks or whites are washed out change the contrast. Set the sharpness to what suits your eyes. In all honesty, this is TV. I see some people go crazy about this and that.. But if you actually watch the tv, all that really matters is that YOU are happy with how it looks.. Everyones eyes are different.. Bright rooms, or dim rooms change everything.. There is no one magic formula for any set.. It's all in how you look at it.

Watch TV.. If picture is too bright, cut down the brightness. If blacks or whites are washed out change the contrast. Set the sharpness to what suits your eyes. In all honesty, this is TV. I see some people go crazy about this and that.. But if you actually watch the tv, all that really matters is that YOU are happy with how it looks.. Everyones eyes are different.. Bright rooms, or dim rooms change everything.. There is no one magic formula for any set.. It's all in how you look at it.

This is our first HDTV unit, and from the old 32" picture, this is a remarkable difference in picture form. The wife thinks it's great, and ask me not to mess with it. I know all about the brightness and contrast settings, and how they can effect one's choice. But, I read so much concerning this calibration poo, that one would think all HDTV's have to be reworked after leaving the factory.

Thanks to all for their input here.

This is our first HDTV unit, and from the old 32" picture, this is a remarkable difference in picture form. The wife thinks it's great, and ask me not to mess with it. I know all about the brightness and contrast settings, and how they can effect one's choice. But, I read so much concerning this calibration poo, that one would think all HDTV's have to be reworked after leaving the factory.

Thanks to all for their input here.

The settings and enhancements are perverted from the factory. They are set on Vivid or Dynamic settings and contrast will be at 100% on the scale. You definitely need to change some things if you want real life "WOW!".

Do's & Don'ts - How to get the best HDTV picture quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)