Reinstall Satellite on new roof

paulchrestman

Original poster
May 22, 2013
I am in the process if having a new roof out on. I have two satellites. One pointed at 110/119/129 and another pointed at 61.5. They took down the 61.5 but will have to take the other one down tomorrow. They are worried that they will not be able to put them back.

What should I tell them to do? Tell them to put them back and adjust them myself? Get a tech to reinstall? I don't have Dish insurance and don't want to have to pay for a tech visit if I don't have to.

Also, if I install...what would I need to do?

do not let roofers re-install, especially if they are not confident.
I have never seen them do it correctly and you will probably need a tech to fix it again anyway

if you have never mounted and aimed multiple sat dishes and don't have a good meter, get a tech

I always tell customers to have them disconnect cables at the lnb (phillips screwdriver and a 7/16 wrench) and have a tech put it back up. 90% of roofer installs I see have two lags, three screws or nails, and then tar all over the foot plate.

I am in the process if having a new roof out on. I have two satellites. One pointed at 110/119/129 and another pointed at 61.5. They took down the 61.5 but will have to take the other one down tomorrow. They are worried that they will not be able to put them back.

What should I tell them to do? Tell them to put them back and adjust them myself? Get a tech to reinstall? I don't have Dish insurance and don't want to have to pay for a tech visit if I don't have to.

Come on man, get a tech to do it and pay for the Visit. You are getting really good service to not only align the dish but to check over the whole system same as you would if you had a repair man come out and fix a dish washer, electrical issue, heating/air condition and so on. Why would you not want to pay for the Dish Tech to come out when you would pay any and all of these others to do work?

So, either do it yourself with some simple instructions as in place the mount back onto the roof just make sure its plumb as in level 90 degrees and then put the dish back on and right to left turn it with someone else watching the signal on the point dish screen with say using cell phones. Once you've got it aimed then lock the bolts down and you are done.

Otherwise, pay the fee get a expert to do it and check over everything else.

Sign up for the dish protection plan. When its time to have them reinstalled call in to customer support. You may have to speak to loyalty but I have done at least a dozen jobs where the customer got the plan the day or a week before calling in a tech visit to get the discounted rate. Then you can drop it next month. Though as a side note DISH in house techs aren't suppose to install to a metal roof if that is what you are having done the tech may need to explore some other options

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I have never seen roofers do it correctly. Even if they do manage to get it back and you have signal, it will be poor signal that will go out at the slightest rain (this is where a lot of the stories of satellite always loosing signal come from, incorrectly installed dishes) $100 for a tech to do it properly is nothing compared to what you are spending on your roof.

The roof mount ?

When I first had DISH installed more than ten years ago, the sub contractor mounted the dishes on the roof about five feet from the gutters.
I had intermittent problems (lost signal etc.). After a number of calls over the first month, a supervisor came out with a couple of rookies and relocated the dishes to the edge and showed the rookies how to replace every cable in the house.

When I read about remounting the satellite dish after re-roofing, I remember that we never had anyone remount the dish after we had the roofing
replaced - because the dish is mounted on the fascia board, not the roofing material.

Just an update. Roofers put both Sats back up and reception is at the same levels as before. I have not had any fad outs. We have not had a major storm, so time will tell if that is an issue.

Thank you to all that replied to my question.

Once you get those storms you'll know how securely they're mounted insread of just a lucky re-mount.

Out of curiosity, did they strip the roof down first? Usually if you get new shingles over 3-tab shingles the elevation change can affect signal.

Sign up for the dish protection plan. When its time to have them reinstalled call in to customer support. You may have to speak to loyalty but I have done at least a dozen jobs where the customer got the plan the day or a week before calling in a tech visit to get the discounted rate. Then you can drop it next month. Though as a side note DISH in house techs aren't suppose to install to a metal roof if that is what you are having done the tech may need to explore some other options

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

He could add the protection plan and it would only be $15 to have a tech to come out to do it. But the last time I checked, it was a $25 fee to cancel the protection plan if it hadn't been in place for 5-6 months. So to add it, get the service done, then cancel it the next month would cost about $40. Either way, it would be cheaper than paying a $99 tech visit without the protection plan.

Or he could use this as a learning experience.

Since he already has a signal, all that really needs to be done is for the dish to be tweaked ever so slightly to get optimum signal.

Adjust the azimuth ONLY until signal is at the maximum possible, retighten azimuth bolts.

Adjust the elevation ONLY until signal is at maximum possible, retighten elevation bolts.

Repeat previous steps several times for absolute best peak performance.

The Protection plan covers warranty related issues only. Having your roof replaced is not a warranty issue. If we get a trouble call from Dish for this (and we have) we call in to Dish, have the trouble call cancelled, then call the customer and tell them it is $99.

I had this done last week. I set up the appointment a couple of weeks early. In the ensuing time my receiver started dieing and they sent me a new one. They cancelled the dish re install. I found out the day before and called tech service. They reset the appointment and didn't charge me because I had the service plan and was a long time customer.
James Daniel Bishop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)