Relative Moving to the states

Status
Please reply by conversation.

UkSatellite

Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
England
Hi there I have a Brother who is moving to the states (West Virginia) and he asked me to find out what kind of FTA satellite you guys get

having done a little digging whic got me to various spots on the Web and having found some info's i must say your FTA situation is really Dire compared to Europe

Like i have 7000 FTA channels Just with a 1.2M motorised KU band dish
wheras from what i've seen The US is mostly PAY controled with about 300 Free reciveble services
(altough i'm asuming that you also get Lot's of foriegn stuff from brazil/mexico
like over here We get the rest of europes TV[Go EU Law])

But nevermind my brother Is looking for Info on the various FTA sat positions/What kind of stuff do you get etc

Here in the Uk he has a 2.4M Motorised Channelmaster Prime with a C/KU LNB
with a similar setup in the us could he get most of the FTA stuff
also What kind of prices are dishes in the US

Over here 60 to 1M dishes can be got for peanuts/free secondhand
stuff bigger is more expensive
In the US most dishes i've seen on TV look to be MASSIVE things
so are they really cheap?
Thanks
If you have any questions About Satellite in Europe i'd be prepared to answer them

Hi despite the handle I'm English and live in the US some 6 months a year. the rest I live in Cyprus. You are correct, KU FTA here is dire and there is no South American tv available to the states. C band has more FTA and it would seem the majority has Spanish audio. Everything appears to be pay only even many that are free to us in EU. Dishes 1m and above are expensive here, but receivers and accessories are cheaper. C band dishes second hand are cheap but some work may be needed on them. If I was moving here with a container I would bring a couple of 1.2 meter dishes and mounts as satellite shope are comparitively few and shipping is horrendous.
As for Channels on Ku 83w,97w,123w,125w,129w carry the majority of FTA But keep an eye on Lyngsat as channels seem to move around lately. there is also a FTA list on this site.

I'd say, from what I've read about FTA in Europe, that the main difference is that most of the channels we receive here aren't meant for us. They're usually uplinked for CATV headends or broadcasters, and we're just eavesdropping. There are a few DTH (Direct To Home) channels, most of which are either ethnic or religious programming. The vast majority of the public here does not realize that there's any free TV up there at all; Most think that Dish Network and DirecTV are the only signals up there.

I'd say, from what I've read about FTA in Europe, that the main difference is that most of the channels we receive here aren't meant for us. They're usually uplinked for CATV headends or broadcasters, and we're just eavesdropping. There are a few DTH (Direct To Home) channels, most of which are either ethnic or religious programming. The vast majority of the public here does not realize that there's any free TV up there at all; Most think that Dish Network and DirecTV are the only signals up there.

Right That makes sense
Over here the complete opposite is true
Europes had widespread DTH since 1988

Except in The UK which was dominated By a PAYtv company called SKY
With the recent FreeSat venture and The EU's telivision without borders(states if someone can recive it Then you can't stop them) people here are becoming more aware

Sucks to be you guys i guess

Lets hope your brother is a little more optimistic than you or he's going to be miserable in America.

Based on my experience I am afraid as far as FTA is concerned his brother will be upset compared to europe but ask me where I'd prefer to live UK or US it is definately US

I had a really Bad experiance with The US so i don't like it and Don't Want to move back(except for a holiday)
My brother should hopfully fare better

I had a really Bad experiance with The US so i don't like it and Don't Want to move back(except for a holiday)
My brother should hopfully fare better

During the westward expansion (circa 1890), there was this small town in Minnesota right on the migration route. Not too far from where Ice lives, I think. Wagon trains would stop for supplies and repairs before moving on.

An old man in his 80's loved to rock and whittle in front of the general store, and sometimes chat with the passing pilgrims as they headed west. The conversations usually went like this:

Pilgrim: "Say old timer, how are you?"

Old Man: "Fine Pilgrim, fine"

Pilgrim: "What kind of people are we going to meet when we get out west?"

Old Man: "Well, what kind of people did you leave behind back east?"

Pilgrim: "They were mostly hard working, God fearing, honest people"

Old Man: "That's what you're likely to find out west, good luck to you"

Pilgrim #2: "Say old timer, how are you?"

Old Man: "Fine Pilgrim, fine"

Pilgrim #2: "What kind of people are we going to meet when we get out west?"

Old Man: "Well, what kind of people did you leave behind back east?"

Pilgrim #2: "They were mostly lying, cheating, mean spirited people"

Old Man: "That's what you're likely to find out west, good luck to you"

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Last edited:
Cadsulfide,

Amen! And much kinder than I would have been! His brother sounds like me --- He might be like my sister!
--------------------------
And when your brother arrives, send him here and we will help him ;<) My Great grandfather left europe and never looked back.

Like i have 7000 FTA channels Just with a 1.2M motorised KU band dish
wheras from what i've seen The US is mostly PAY controled with about 300 Free reciveble services
(altough i'm asuming that you also get Lot's of foriegn stuff from brazil/mexico
like over here We get the rest of europes TV[Go EU Law])
Like-speak doesn't read like kings english, but california-speak.

If you have any questions About Satellite in Europe i'd be prepared to answer them

Would you care to name a few European online satellite equipment retailers that are reasonable in cost or reputable?

Or do people just motor over to the local Tesco to pick up their kit?

Like-speak doesn't read like kings english, but california-speak.

Would you care to name a few European online satellite equipment retailers that are reasonable in cost or reputable?

Or do people just motor over to the local Tesco to pick up their kit?

I can recomend this place
Little bit pricey but excellent service
Big discounts in the Satellite Superstore UK catalogue. Cheap satellite dishes, Low priced receivers.
ignore the fact the layout is from 1998

I can recomend this place
Little bit pricey but excellent service
Big discounts in the Satellite Superstore UK catalogue. Cheap satellite dishes, Low priced receivers.
ignore the fact the layout is from 1998

Uk,

Thanks for the link to the Satellite Superstore. This is the first English speaking site that offers the AB-COM IPBox 9000HD receiver. I have contacted them for more information on this box and plan to order one soon to test.

I read about this receiver in TELESatellite magazine and really have to try it! With a built-in 500GB PVR it is a must for me! I will let you know if it works out.

AcWxRADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)