Remote not pairing to Hopper.

OSD771

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Pokey
Hey Guys, im new to the dish forum so be nice. :D
I had a hopper today that would not for the life of it pair to a remote. I got all the joeys and the other hopper to pair.

Here is what i tried so far-
Reset the receiver, tried Unpair remote by pressing Sat, holding Recall and 0, search, vol up, then Stop. I could not even get the remote to give me the 3 beeps saying it was unpaired.
Then i reset the receiver again, got a different remote and tried pairing it, unpairing it, repairing it.
Then i tried setting the hopper in IR mode, and that was not working at all.
I am thinking it is a bad box. I got some other advice saying to try reset the factory defaults but unfortuneatly could not try that yet. I will be trying it tomorrow.
Any other advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Hey Guys, im new to the dish forum so be nice. :D
I had a hopper today that would not for the life of it pair to a remote. I got all the joeys and the other hopper to pair.

Here is what i tried so far-
Reset the receiver, tried Unpair remote by pressing Sat, holding Recall and 0, search, vol up, then Stop. I could not even get the remote to give me the 3 beeps saying it was unpaired.

Try unpairing from the Hopper front panel controls
Then i reset the receiver again, got a different remote and tried pairing it, unpairing it, repairing it.
The remote needs to be very close to Hopper, presumably to avoid pairing to other Hoppers/Joeys. Try putting the remote on top of the Hopper before attempting pairing
Then i tried setting the hopper in IR mode, and that was not working at all.
The 40.0 and 32.0 remotes will not talk to Hopper or Joey (or any Dish receiver for that matter) via IR.

How does one unpair the hopper from the front panel? Going into the menu and system settings? I tried that. The hopper says that their are no remotes paired.
The remote was very close to the hopper.

The only other thing i could think of was RF interference maybe?? or a bad hopper.

Thanks for the advice, i am going to try getting it working tomorrow.

Replace the batteries I found that trying different combinations of mashing sat button and pair work alright. Did you check to make sure you aren't accidentally pairing with another hopper or joey?

The remote may still think that it is "Paired" with the system when it is not. There are instructions to manually "Un-Pair" the remote from a Hopper or Joey using the buttons on the remote. Please visit Pair and Un-pair Remote and scroll down until you see "Deprogram Remote from Receiver - Using Remote". Let me know if this works for you. Thanks!

I tried that, pressing Sat button, holding 0 and recall, then search, volume up and stop right?

FWIW I had to hold my remote right next to the antenna for pairing to work. Just being near the receiver wasn't enough.

Wonder what the problem is there concerning that as when I paired/unpaired my 32.0 remote control I did not have to hold it that close to the antenna on my 922,guess DISH made them less sensitive for pairing on the Hopper.:confused:

I don't have any experience with the 922. But I know I couldn't get any 32.0's to pair with my Hopper until I got right next to the antenna. My 40.0's paired from several feet away. So it's something unique to the 32.0 and Hopper. Outside of pairing, the range is far greater than the UHF range on my old 722k/21.0. So I think the new antenna and zigbee are big improvements.

OK. I finally upgraded to a Hopper. Love it. Had to get rid of my 2 old 722 remotes and bought some 32s off of ebay. I am having trouble getting them to work on my Hopper. I followed the instructions to pair (sys info button, followed by pressing SAT button). Both remotes show up in the sys info screen, but none of the buttons work in regard to controlling the Hopper. I also cannot see them in the remote manager screen to further program them re: setting up toncontrol my tv etc. Am I doing something wrong?? I have tried unpairing them and repairing them with no success.

If you can't see them in remote manager, then they aren't really paired. To pair a 32, you have to hold it right next to the remote antenna, then press Sat. Are you sure the batteries are good?

The issue WAS with the antenna, it was not sticking straight up, and so i moved it straight up and down and then it paired right away.

If you can't see them in remote manager, then they aren't really paired. To pair a 32, you have to hold it right next to the remote antenna, then press Sat. Are you sure the batteries are good?

I will try other batteries. Just odd that both 922s, with separate sets of batteries are not working. They are showing in the sys info screen as paired but not in the remote manager-- unless there is another sub-screen. All I see in the remote manager is my main remote.

I will try other batteries. Just odd that both 922s, with separate sets of batteries are not working. They are showing in the sys info screen as paired but not in the remote manager-- unless there is another sub-screen. All I see in the remote manager is my main remote.

Also, battery status for both 32.0 remotes, in the sys info area, states "good".

All you will ever see in REMOTE MANAGER is the remote you actually are using to open remote manager.

All you will ever see in REMOTE MANAGER is the remote you actually are using to open remote manager.

OK. Makes sense. The problem I am having, though, is when I unpair the one that works (40), and still have the others paired, they still don't work (buttons won't operate)-- so I am unable to get to the remote manager (or anywhere else for that matter). They do show in the sys info screen.

HOLY CROW!!! I finally found the solution (after Dish Network techs couldn't figure it out over the phone). I simply changed the Remote number key (the "1" or "2" designation at the bottom of the remote) to "1". Presto-- fully working 32.0 remotes on my Hopper. I figured it was something simple. I hope this helps someone else!!!

FWIW I had to hold my remote right next to the antenna for pairing to work. Just being near the receiver wasn't enough.

This recommendation was dead-on. Had my Hopper upgrade install today and the tech worked on this problem for over 2 hours and replaced the Hopper box 3 times with no avail. Not his fault as this is clearly a design flaw on many of the Hopper boxes. He was nice enough to replace my Superdish with the latest Dish 2000. It was getting late so he was going to call another tech to come first thing in the morning, but I was able to pair the remote by actually touching the remote to the metal base of the antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts