Remote problems with Fortec Classic NA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
My Fortec Classic NA receiver remote control only works if the remote is pointed directly at the receiver. Even then it doesn't work very well....I'm thinking that it is actually getting worse. Often I'll have the remote pointed directly at the receiver, and I'll have to skew the remote in different angles to change channels.
Is anyone else having a this problem?

(The receiver is only four months old, and I've tried new batteries in the remote.)

Thanks!

123tim said:
My Fortec Classic NA receiver remote control only works if the remote is pointed directly at the receiver. Even then it doesn't work very well....I'm thinking that it is actually getting worse. Often I'll have the remote pointed directly at the receiver, and I'll have to skew the remote in different angles to change channels.
Is anyone else having a this problem?

(The receiver is only four months old, and I've tried new batteries in the remote.)

Thanks!

Well , new batteries is what I was going to suggest .

If you are curageious (sp) , I have read that bending the IR receiver semiconductor closer to the plastic " window " may help ? Or drilling a small hole in the plastic " window " directly in front of the semiconductor ?

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Well , new batteries is what I was going to suggest .

If you are curageious (sp) , I have read that bending the IR receiver semiconductor closer to the plastic " window " may help ? Or drilling a small hole in the plastic " window " directly in front of the semiconductor ?

Wyr

WryTwister,

Thanks! That's probably what I'll be doing. It seems like everything that I get has to be torn apart....I can see the IR detector through the plastic. It's a TO-3 package, and has long enough leads that it could be bent easily enough. It's pushed up against the side of the case so maybe it wasn't assembled quite right.
Drilling might be an option, but the plastic filters out sunlight, and the receiver sits right by the window, so I hope that repositioning the detector solves the problem.

I don't want this to discourage anyone from considering the Fortec. I love it, and it seems very dependable.

Thanks for your help.

As a last resort check the battery terminals in your remote. You can use some fine sandpaper, steel wool, etc. to clean off any oxidation or corrosion. It may have no positive effect whatsoever, but it can't hurt to try.

I have one of these too...I think the remote is just junk...I have not had it very long and the batteries should be new but I will change them out and check as well...but aside from that I think the remote is just weak (underpowered).

icstephen said:
I have one of these too...I think the remote is just junk...I have not had it very long and the batteries should be new but I will change them out and check as well...but aside from that I think the remote is just weak (underpowered).

Stephen,

Right...I got mine in mid November. It was pretty weak right out of the box. I didn't use remotes at the time, and didn't think that much about it. Then I got an AC3 player - the remote for that will works turned 180 degrees in the other direction.

I've wondered if it might be the remote. That's a pretty good possibility.

Can you see the IR detector in your receiver? It's behind the smoked plastic on the left hand side, and has three leads with a round plastic lens in the middle. Mine doesn't look like it was assembled quite right. I hate to disassemble it (the receiver) so soon.

I think that you've only had yours for about a month now?

Thanks!
Tim

TechPuppy - Thanks for the good suggestion. Unfortunately the battery contacts are pristine and still look brand new. I appreciate your help though.

Is there anyone who has a Fortec NA remote that works well? The part that bothers me is that 90 percent of the functions can only be accessed by the remote. If it continues to get worse, I'll be in trouble.

Last edited:
I think lousy remotes must be a thing for Fortecs. My standing theory is that aiming the dish is initally the easy part in the world of FTA, aiming the Fortec remote is when we should be pulling out the compass and charts.

The best bet I've had with my Fortec remote is buying the Highest-line of AAA batteries I can afford -- like Energizer Max or something similar. They last about a month, which is still silly, since my VCR's remote has had the same batteries since about 2002.

DiscoLoveGrapes said:
I think lousy remotes must be a thing for Fortecs. My standing theory is that aiming the dish is initally the easy part in the world of FTA, aiming the Fortec remote is when we should be pulling out the compass and charts.

The best bet I've had with my Fortec remote is buying the Highest-line of AAA batteries I can afford -- like Energizer Max or something similar. They last about a month, which is still silly, since my VCR's remote has had the same batteries since about 2002.

Bummer. I was afraid of that. At least this way I know that my remote isn't slowly going dead. Thanks!

"My zip is 16669, and I have a Fortec NA. What is the skew setting for my remote control?" :)

what would be nice is if I could get a universal remote that had the codes for the FTA receivers and then I could toss this Fortec remote. Another thing I hate about this receiver is the clock...I have always had a hard time with military time...even when I was in the military....I want my AM PM:D .
On a side note this remote sure does fly good, I found this out while trying to tune in G10r this week..haha

I think that the Logitech Harmony remotes will work for almost anything, they are web-upgradeable. Unfortunately, they're a bit pricey though....

well....does anyone know if the Classic NA remote works on the lifetime or Ultra Fortec boxes or vise versa?

I did see settings for those on my JP9 yahoo group (remote control codes). Nothing yet on the classic NA.

has anyone opened the classic NA remote to see if there are contacts to log the remote codes? it doesn't look like there are any screws to hold them together. I've got a reader I built a few years back that I can pull out if there is a place that I can access the codes. Just don't want to break it.

I'll check again when I get back to the house tonight.

scottc98 said:
well....does anyone know if the Classic NA remote works on the lifetime or Ultra Fortec boxes or vise versa?

I did see settings for those on my JP9 yahoo group (remote control codes). Nothing yet on the classic NA.

has anyone opened the classic NA remote to see if there are contacts to log the remote codes? it doesn't look like there are any screws to hold them together. I've got a reader I built a few years back that I can pull out if there is a place that I can access the codes. Just don't want to break it.

I'll check again when I get back to the house tonight.

I didn't realize that you get codes that way. Can you do this with most remotes?
Was your reader hard to build?

Sadoun has a remote that works for all Fortec models. From what I could gather there, they all must have a distinct code. I could be wrong though.

I'll bet that the screws for the remote are under the Fortec sticker in the front. I could feel depressions under the sticker. Couldn't seem to get it to peel up without hogging it up though.

I looked at the IR transmitter through my digital camera. It seems just as bright as my stronger remotes. I don't know if this is a legitimate test though.

Strange thing - It was much warmer in our house last night, and the remote seemed to work much better. DiscoLovesGrapes said to replace the batteries with top of the line batteries. (I haven't done this yet). I think that he's right.

Thanks!

Correction to my post...JP1 group. (been a long time; 4-5 years). Basically, mostly universal remotes (and some standard remotes) have a jp1 port on the circuit board. using a jp1 programmer (which is really easy to build), you can use custom software to change and extract remote codes. Most Radio shack and One-for-all brand unverisal remote have a port.

Its been a really long time since I've messed around with this so give me the weekend to see what I can come up with. I originally got into this project to add codes to my Toshiba 40H80 remote (which didn't help much due to lack of memory on the remote) and to add codes to my URC remote (UHF/IR combo remote w/ IR to UFH converter; would be great to get working to control one receiver that has the motor when watching another receiver in another room)

My URC remotes can learn commands from the fortec remote. Then I could extract them from my URC to my PC, analyze and remapp on the remote. Once the code has been extracted and analyzed, then it can be added to other universal remotes.

Last edited:
Scott,
Thank you! I looked up some information on programming using JP1. I have a One For All remote that is "Designed with UEI technology" I guess from what little I've read, that this should work. However it doesn't have any sort of plug or jack. I took it apart...all that's inside are a few pads labeled tp1 - tp6 scattered about.
It seems jp1 programming would solve a couple of problems that I have. It almost looks like I could program my remote to shut off both the TV and FTA receiver with one keystroke (button). Is this true?

I guess that I'll have to look for another remote (one with a jp1 connector?) A learning remote isn't in my budget right now. Someday :)

I really appreciate all of your help. I'm really glad that I asked my original question. You never know where a simple question may lead.
Thanks!

Are the tp1 - tp6 pads close together on your remote? I had to solder pins on my toshiba 40H80 remote. My URC remote already has one.

My office PC at home finally hit its last days and in the process of building a new one (Still have the HTPC but hurts the eyes on the 40" TV ) so only really get to check this fourn at work.
I'll take some pics of my remotes and programmer (its handnade and very ghetto but does the job :) ) and post it here when I get the chance.

There are some very good JP1 forums out there that have some great info

In reference to your "turn off both fta and tv with one stroke", answer is yes depending on what type of universal remote you have. My remote has a few programable keys that in turn are really just a series of keystrokes programmed to one button. In reference to the IR problem with the Classic NA, I too notice that you have to really directly point it at the receiver to get it to change. Thats why I recommend a IR/UHF universal for anyone you wants to get involved with this. I can place a IR emitter (like you see with a TIVO standalone that you want to control a receiver that doesn't have a serial connection) right over the Classic NA and plug it into my IR/UHF transmitter. That way, I can be almost anywhere in the house to change channels on the Classic NA (or not have to move from my lazy position on the couch to change the channel :) )

Last edited:
scottc98 said:
Are the tp1 - tp6 pads close together on your remote? )
Scott,
They would fit in the area that something about the size of a dime would cover. They're sort of scattered in a hit and miss pattern. Do you think that these are the connections?

Thanks!
Hope that I'm not putting you out..especially with your computer being down.

Yeah, without seeing the pads myself and not knowing your exact remote model, those may be it. the pads would be in rows of two, like this:

1-2-3

4-5-6

So they normally wouldn't be scattered but have a somewhat uniformal pattern as shown above (at least for all the remotes I've seen)
You know pins on a motherboard that you would place a jumper on? Or on a motherboard, where you plug in the cables from you case (Power LED, Reset switch, etc). That would be the spacing that I am talking about.

Essentially, the type of pins on a MB is the same pins I used to attach to my Toshiba remote. (bought the pins from a electric store)

no worries about the PC...been meaning to upgrade the HTPC and move that to the office. This incident just makes me do it now (and pretty much gets automatic approval from the wife :) )

Got some pics to upload when I get home tonight

Got some of my URC remote and my programmer.

New PC parts arrived today so it should get be back to normalcy this weekend

Found out that my All for One remote (URC-4021) is not compatible. I figured it wasn't considering the way the TP's were scattered around. I'm certainly going to find a remote that is! Jp1 programming looks like the way to go.
I found a web page with Fortec codes for the Ultra.....nothing for the Classic. :(
Maybe I'll have to look for a learning remote as well.
Thanks again!

123tim said:
Found out that my All for One remote (URC-4021) is not compatible. I figured it wasn't considering the way the TP's were scattered around. I'm certainly going to find a remote that is! Jp1 programming looks like the way to go.
I found a web page with Fortec codes for the Ultra.....nothing for the Classic. :(
Maybe I'll have to look for a learning remote as well.
Thanks again!

Well...I'm still in the works on my pc at home (looks like a bad hard drive). Afterwards, I'll get those pics up and start learning some codes for the Classic

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)