Remote problems with vizio

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danbowyer

Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Northwest
I have problems with my changing channels with my vizio tv. I have problems changing channels on directv box when my vizio tv is on. The remote will turn tv on and off and run the volume. Sometimes it will not change the channels on the box. If I put the remote about 1/2 "" from the blue light on the box it will change the channel. If I turn the tv off it will change channels just fine. I have a logitech remote and it does the same thing. Both remotes will work fine with the other two boxes in the house. Directv remote is rc64. Dan

Sounds like a case of IR interference. Your TV probably has automatic Brightness and/or Contrast control, which uses IR to measure the light in the room.. The IR that the TV sends out interferes with the signal from the remote.
You can google IR Interference and remote for more info, but here's a simple test and solution..
Fold a piece of white paper (printer paper works) in half and stand it up in front of the IR sensor on the receiver (just to the right of the power button, usually), then stand back and try the remote.. if it starts working normally then you have IR interference (The paper acts as a filter).
The solution: Get yourself some Scotch Magic Tape (Yes, that brand and type) and put 2 pieces over the IR sensor on the receiver. This will act as a filter and get rid of the problem. The bonus to the magic tape is that it's virtually invisible so it won't look all hillbilly.

I agree with lanarian this looks like an IR interference issue, the IR comes from the switching power supply in the backlight. Sometimes just adjusting the setting on the backlight sensor will solve the problem. Otherwise the "tape" solution works for most people.
Or if you have an RF remote (look for the FCC sticker on the back of the remote, if you have a sticker the remote can operate in RF) change the receiver/remote to RF and then the problem will go away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)