Remote Question?!?

2extreme

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Is it possible to program 1 remote to control 2 different receivers? For example I have an 811 remote which has the dvr controls on it but obviously aren't used on the 811 and I want to control the 811 and my 510 with that remote instead of switching remotes when I want to use the other receiver. (I have both hooked to 1 tv for PIP etc.). Just curious if this is possible or will I have to keep doing the two handed thing :D .

Thank you!

It sure is :)

The new remotes that ship with Dish 500 systems (the very least a 4722 Dish 500 system comes with one) and it has some new features, and took away some others. Specifically there is no address button on the remote for changing the address if you have multiple receivers. The new process is pretty simple, but not intuitive.

~To change the address do the following:~

Press the System Info button and the Information screen will be displayed
Press and hold the Sat button until it starts blinking
Press the # you want to change the address to (1-15)
Press the # key and immediately press the record button.
This should change the address.

~To program the remote to operate your TV/VCR. . .~

Turn ON the electronic device you want to program the remote to control.
Press the Mode button on the remote until the appropriate mode light is flashing.

Press the Address button. The mode light will start flashing slowly.

Press the Power button. The mode light will stop flashing and stay lit.

Press the Up or Down arrow button to set the remote to the next code. The Down arrow button scans backward and the Up arrow button scans forward.

When the correct code is reached, the device (whether a TV, VCR, or other) will turn off.

Press the # button followed (with a short pause) by the record button to store the code in the remote control memory. If the code is valid for your remote, the mode light will blink 3 times.

Turn the device back ON by pressing the Power button.

* The mode light will flash rapidly when the scan has returned to the starting point and all codes have been tested for that mode. The remote control may not control some device models.

Now, that's how you program your remote. The question is, will you experience signal conflict between the receivers? Example: changing both receiver's channel at the same time. Very likely.

Can you program your remote to operate a different receiver using the "aux" key? Consider me curious.

"Will I have to keep doing the two handed thing?"

Consider me curious and slightly disturbed :eek:

G'luck!

i would just set your 811 and 510 to different remote codes, and just change your remote code when you switch receivers.
for example, set the 811 to 8, and set the 510 to 5.... then when you want to watch the 811, press and hold the "sat" button on the remote until all the lights flash, then press 8, then the pound key (then you hit "record" only if you are wanting to change the code on the reciever)
just my opinion

birddoggy said:
i would just set your 811 and 510 to different remote codes, and just change your remote code when you switch receivers.
for example, set the 811 to 8, and set the 510 to 5.... then when you want to watch the 811, press and hold the "sat" button on the remote until all the lights flash, then press 8, then the pound key (then you hit "record" only if you are wanting to change the code on the reciever)
just my opinion

Sounds like it would be easier to reach over and pick up another remote! :D

Wow a couple ways to do it I see. LOL. I thank you for the responses!

Wylwrk said:
"Will I have to keep doing the two handed thing?"

Consider me curious and slightly disturbed

You know what I meant :D I hope ;)

birddoggy said:
just my opinion

That seems like a lot of work but can see how it would work! :D

jpezz said:
Sounds like it would be easier to reach over and pick up another remote! :D

I agree haha...but reason why I asked this is because I have the 510 output to 2 other tv's in the house including 1 upstairs. So instead of having to run upstairs to get the remote when I wanted to switch to the 510 on my hdtv to watch recorded shows etc, I could just use the same one I used for the 811! :D
Thanks again!

I would reccomend that you not try to use one remote for two receivers.

First when you set both receivers up to work off the same frequency, you may tell the 510 to do something that you don't want it to do. Like record or not record a program.

Switching code on the remote may be ok untill someone does it wrong, then you could have fun gettting the remote to work with the receiver again.

I would get a second remote for the 510. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. Much simpler solution, and then you have a backup remote if something happens to the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)