Remote (watch on web) works ONLY with old slow router.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I used the link and the same image from it that you sent me...it just semi-bricks the box - all the lights go on and off in no discernable pattern and it won't answer a browser request to 192.168.1.1

After I got it restored to original with the file from Netgear I tried DD-WRT one more time and paid special attention to follow the instructions, got the exact same result. I even re-downloaded the image before trying so I don't think that is the issue. I suppose it is possible this 3700 is a bastard unit, it does not have a serial number on the bottom...it does have something called a "security pin" with a barcode and the number 33396347 and another sticker with the MAC but seems to never had a s/n sticker where it's supposed to be. Hm. (I did look at the info from the GUI and it does not indicate that it is a v2 box). All vewy stwange.

I used the link and the same image from it that you sent me...it just semi-bricks the box - all the lights go on and off in no discernable pattern and it won't answer a browser request to 192.168.1.1

After I got it restored to original with the file from Netgear I tried DD-WRT one more time and paid special attention to follow the instructions, got the exact same result. I even re-downloaded the image before trying so I don't think that is the issue. I suppose it is possible this 3700 is a bastard unit, it does not have a serial number on the bottom...it does have something called a "security pin" with a barcode and the number 33396347 and another sticker with the MAC but seems to never had a s/n sticker where it's supposed to be. Hm. (I did look at the info from the GUI and it does not indicate that it is a v2 box). All vewy stwange.

The IMG file (flash file) that you used.. was it 7.3 meg or 6.04 meg?

When you first go to the router database page http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database (type in 3700) ... there's 2 image files for the 3700 "Special image for initial flashing" and then the "webflash" image.

Also on that page is the "Additional info" for the 3700 which links here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700
and it has both a V1 and V2 flash ...

I'm wondering if you tried both the first IMG (6meg on the main router database page) or just the other one (7meg from the Additional info page)

I'd try them both ... 6 meg one first.. its an older build but once dd-wrt is on.. then upgrading is a no brainer.. the IMG's are for initial flashing ... something to do with the structure expected, once switched over, its no longer a problem as DD-WRT reads DD-WRT upgrades without problems.

Hi, I've been out of town & pocket...at Airventure in Oshkosh, just got home and had some mail...including yet another routher that I decided to try...a D-Link DGL-4100 that came while I was gone. I unplugged my "old reliable slow" Netgear, fired up the D Link and it worked perfectly including Dish Remote access. I didn't even do any configuration, it was right out of the box. I think I will try to avoid the temptation to "tweak" it!!!!!!

I don't think this information is especially helpful, but I said I would let you guys know one way or the other! :D Now I am happy camper.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

What about trying again with the 3700 and DD-WRT?
Would love to see if that works where the 3700 OEM didn't..

What about trying again with the 3700 and DD-WRT?
Would love to see if that works where the 3700 OEM didn't..

Please don't think I'm ungrateful, but I used up pretty much my reserve of patience with that thing! I'd be willing to mail the 3700 to you if you want to tinker with it, for research purposes of course ;-);)

If you wanna do that let me know...when you're done you can send it back or if you find somebody who wants it we can cobble up some kinda deal...I've more or less written it off by now ennyhoo...
KS

Hi again, sorry I dropped the ball on this, I've had other stuff going on. As it has turned out, I thought I would try something...disabling the DHCP on this box and trying to use it as a wireless access point (a month ago I didn't have any idea what that meant)...and lo, it worked like a charm. Some of my devices were wi-fi capable but I never had tried to use them that way because a) I didn't have the hardware and b) had no idea how to use them if I did...So I'm still learning. You know, what chafes me is that I've been pretty much of a technophile for decades...I was building ham radio transmitters back in 1960 when that stuff was borderline magic to many people, now I have trouble keeping up with acronyms, let alone their application. Sigh. I suppose that's what I get for becoming an old phart.

Hi again, sorry I dropped the ball on this, I've had other stuff going on. As it has turned out, I thought I would try something...disabling the DHCP on this box and trying to use it as a wireless access point (a month ago I didn't have any idea what that meant)...and lo, it worked like a charm. Some of my devices were wi-fi capable but I never had tried to use them that way because a) I didn't have the hardware and b) had no idea how to use them if I did...So I'm still learning. You know, what chafes me is that I've been pretty much of a technophile for decades...I was building ham radio transmitters back in 1960 when that stuff was borderline magic to many people, now I have trouble keeping up with acronyms, let alone their application. Sigh. I suppose that's what I get for becoming an old phart.
don't feel in any way shape or form "bad" about it.. just like for me.. I've been burning on a f-ing openVPN install for two days... either online documentation is incomplete, or you have to cobble two or three different sets of bad instructions to get things together.. no worse for the fact that some steps aren't accounted for, or an acronym goes unexplained, or anything like that..

In the end, burning on problems like this gives us a sense of reward and gives us the ability to move forward to the next nearly impossible task..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts