Remotes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zipcode01104

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I'm just curious what everyone uses for a universal remote. Sitting in bed at night I find the D* remotes to be hard to use. No back display and the buttons are close together. Anyone have a universal remote that they use and are happy with it?

I have 3 Harmony 688's. I might move to a different model some day but Harmony's are the best. They've been able to handle every single challenge and situation.

I have tried the Harmony remotes and while they appear to be fully interactive and somewhat easily programmable through your PC, I actually prefer the Home Theater Master MX series. I have the MX-500, which is the highest model NOT to be programmable through a PC. Button layout is good, back light, and for an IR remote, it works well no matter where I point it...very strong signal.

i have a directv brand remote that lights up the keys. It is identical to the one they give u. It also uses my vcr and surrond sound.

DIRECTV REMOTE BACKLIGHT HD RC 64 RB RF FAST SHIPPING - (eBay item 220145152529 end time Sep-06-07 06:13:44 PDT)

Is this one available anywhere for IR only? Not familiar with RF functionality in terms of how it will work for one box in Bedroom. Where does the antenna plug/screw in? Currently have Harmony remote in bedroom, but dislike it enough that I have the D* basic remote now setup as universal remote (only Vizio TV, Panasonic DVD-Recorder, and D* box). Would like the backlight function, but is RF overkill, or no big deal?

Is this one available anywhere for IR only? Not familiar with RF functionality in terms of how it will work for one box in Bedroom. Where does the antenna plug/screw in? Currently have Harmony remote in bedroom, but dislike it enough that I have the D* basic remote now setup as universal remote (only Vizio TV, Panasonic DVD-Recorder, and D* box). Would like the backlight function, but is RF overkill, or no big deal?

The rc64rb can be used for IR or RF. But the only remotes with backlighting are the rc32rf and rc64rb, both RF. They just don't make a IR only directv remote with backlighting.

So how/where does the RF antenna go? I haven't looked (haven't needed to) but I don't recall seeing an RF antenna input on the back of my HR20's.

I have used a couple of different remotes (the harmony 880 and several Universal Remotes) and prefer the Universal Remotes. I have an older MX-700 that I use in my office and just purchased an MX-850 from Surf Remote Control. The MX series is a little dated but is tried and true. They are very easy to program and to use. Surf Remote has some remotes at half price...just click on the "get it for a lower price" link and they will email you a code for a discount.

Surf Remote Control - Universal Remote Controls

So how/where does the RF antenna go? I haven't looked (haven't needed to) but I don't recall seeing an RF antenna input on the back of my HR20's.

if you have the Hr20-700 the antenna is built-in, where the Hr20-100 needs external antenna plugged into the back.

I have a Harmony® Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox® 360 that I love, and a Harmony® 550 Advanced Universal Remote for the bedroom.

So does this mean that thr HR20-700 can handle any RF remote, or just the RF that D* sells?

The only remotes that will control HR20's directly via RF are the white directv remotes, sorry.

RF universal remotes are IR only controlling remotes, but use their own RF frequency to do it from afar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.