Removing bloatware without root?

Wont be as effective.. Root is the ticket for bloatware and removing annoying ads and popup messages.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Rooting and Titanium Backup are the best ways, or you may be better off getting a custom ROM. Nearly all of them have the bloatware removed already, along with the annoying CIQ. But yes unfortunately for many apps the carriers/manufacturers pull a d*ck move and force you to keep stuff even if you don't want it, which I honestly think should be considered an FTC issue. I mean, if I buy a new computer, last I checked I'm not prohibited from easily removing any stuff I don't want. Yeah it can be a pain but at least I can do it. I don't see why you can't do that with a phone.

system app remover is a good app to remove bloatware and other system apps you may not want. it shows you what apps or system apps are safe to remove and which ones would be a problem if uninstalled. but you need to be rooted.

I've tried no dice. Sick of preinstalled apps that can not be removed.
Had to check.... In case you didn't know, apps can be installed in (2) locations, /system/app or /data/app. Users have permissions to modify /data/app but do NOT have permissions to the /system/app folder. That's where a "smart" vendor will pre-install their crap as that will not allow users to remove them. Most people would agree that only true "system" apps should be there. Apps like "My Verizon" or "Blockbuster" or "Rock Band" (using VZW phones as examples) do NOT belong there. Apps like the dialer, launcher, browser, etc do belong there since removing some of them could make your phone rather difficult to use !

As others have suggested, root your phone. It's really your only option at this point. Just to make it clear, you can root your phone, remove the bloatware, and do nothing else. There's really no danger in doing so.

Anyone rooted a Thunderbolt? What is the easiest way to do it now?

Revolutionary.io still works on 2.11.605.5 and lower on Thunderbolts. Most non-rooted devices have been updated to 2.11.605.9 though. It is possible to downgrade from .9 to .5 and use Revolutionary.io.

Btw I'm running gingerbread 2.3.3 Pantech Breakout
Any free options sorry but I'd rather not pay $2 for rootzwiki
have you visited the xda forums? i've never paid for a root solution. you'll find plenty of great info there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts