Removing Dish From Roof ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skiz77

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Hey there, just wondering if anyone has experience removing a dish? I just cancelled the Dish net because I only have the great option to buy the HD Dual DVR receiver for $698. When I saw that shortly after purchasing my $2000 HDTV, I was stunned!!!
That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life. Talk about screwing your existing customers. I heard maybe next month that may change, but that is so ridiculous I don't care if it's gonna change.

Anyway, back to my previous question. Anyone know how to get these things off the roof? Is it just a few bolts? Do I need to unplug any wiring first? I'd prefer not to pay them $99 bucks to come get it which is another thing that is annoying. They don't come get their own equipment.

I really liked dish and loved the dual DVR receiver and the programming and price...but this past week really changed my mind about them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

All you have to do is take the 3 to 5 screws out of the foot/mast. They usually have either 7/16" or 1/2" heads on them. When you take them out I would highly recommend putting some kind of tar or silicone where the holes were to prevent leaking. Pretty simple job.

I would never remove a foot from a roof unless there was no other choice. If it dosent leek now why remove the bolts. however if yo must remove somthing remove the LNB only its all they will want back any way. If you want dish off then unbolt the mast from the foot.

skiz,

if you feel you need to remove the foot, use tar that comes in caulking tubes. and inject all you can get into the holes. silicone wont last.

Roofing caulk will hold for a long time, maybe even until you re-roof in a few years. But plan on checking it and repairing it every storm season.

Another simple solution is to fill the holes with roof caulk and install flashing under each damaged shingle--be sure to start at the bottom and work up.

The real solution is to replace the existing damaged shingles, if you have some extras from a recent re-roofing. Anything over 5 years old would likely not match the "fading" of the existing roof.

A less attractive option is to carefully remove a section of shingles around the area and reinstall them--staggering the damaged ones so the holes don't line up and apply the roof caulk to the underside of the holes.

You would also need to look at the holes created by bolts into your sheathing. When you have the shingles removed, use urethane glue and wood dowels for plugs. Then re-paper and shingle the area.

-sc

I recently moved my dish from the roof and attached it to the side of the house in preparation for an upcoming re-roofing job. I didn't want the roofers messing with the dish and didn't want to lose service while they re-roofed. When my dish was first installed I asked the installer if he would mount it to the side of the house but he insisted on mounting in on the roof. Is there a reason why he would prefer mounting to the roof rather than the side of the house when either option provided the same line of sight?

I removed the dish only and left the mounts in case you ever want to go with D*. I was like you, got tired of losing channels and raising prices. I hear that the next price increase is Feb 1st. They will send you an empty box with instructions so you can mail the receivers and LNB , remotes back to them. I'm very happy to have rid myself of this company. I used to have the international channel SBS but they took it off the air and replaced it with religious programming, what a joke! I have to admit, they did give me a $10 credit..how nice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)